Analytics Director - Avaaz Elves, Anti-Disinformation Team
Period: 5 months (Jan-May 2019) with longer-term renewal possibility
Ahead of the EU elections, Avaaz is launching an unprecedented anti-disinformation project, to protect Europe’s democracies from the proliferation of fake news. After a pilot project in Brazil, which saw Avaaz take down a huge Facebook disinformation network in the country, we plan to scale our efforts on the European continent, launching a 27-country operation powered by big data, investigative journalism, and the strength of our network of 20 million members in the EU. The aim is to identify and debunk fake news, take down the biggest disinformation networks, bots and troll armies, bring to justice the criminal networks behind them; and create viral content and factual corrections to reach those who have been exposed.
As the Analytics Director you will be responsible for setting up the technical and human infrastructure to analyze millions of pieces of social media content to spot disinformation operations before and when they go viral,investigate deeply the disinformation networks behind them, and support the investigative and OSINT effort of the team. The ideal candidate will have excellent technical skills, including social media analysis, and a long experience in managing and handling large sets of data. They will know how to analyse and identify behaviour patterns on social media, and have a proven track record for managing successful teams and projects. Understanding of how disinformation spreads on social platforms is ideal.
This is an exciting leadership position in one of the most innovative and promising public organisations in the world today. It offers a unique platform from which to develop and pursue large-scale social change efforts.
- Lead a team of data analysts and researchers, and analyse the data yourself, finding clues to identify and uncover disinformation networks.
- Set the team up with existing tools to analyze the EU social media conversation during the election period and collaborate with experienced data-driven agencies;
- Directly support and provide tools for data visualization and exploration to the online research and internal investigative journalism teams;
- Lead the creation of systems enabling volunteers to collaboratively identify, flag, and help correct disinformation.
This is a demanding role that requires remarkable talent in a wide range of areas. The skills the ideal candidate will display include a good cross-section of the following:
- Experience with data analysis, with data science experience being a plus;
- Experience in social media analysis;
- Experience with data visualization and exploration, including relevant tools;
- Experience with handling large unstructured data sets is desirable.
- Strong project and staff management skills;
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities, especially when it comes to interpreting large amounts of data;
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure;
- Strong strategic, creative, and innovative thinking, combining data and content to achieve impact;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Passion and commitment to freedom of speech and social change, and the fight to protect democracy from disinformation;
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
We hope for a blend of these criteria, but will consider qualified candidates who may not meet all of them.
Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional EU languages are an asset.
Location: Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone and Skype. For this position we would prefer candidates based in the EU, but welcome other applicants from around the world.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading non-governmental organisations.
This position reports to an Avaaz staffer.
More like this
- Business Development Manager - UK & Europe at Compono
- Operations & Finance Manager at My Method Ltd
- Head of Growth at Honest Health
- Campaigns Intern at 38 Degrees
- Chief Technology Officer at Ratio
- Data Engineer at JustWatch
- Junior Product Owner at Fixflo
- Operations Analyst at Chip
- Marketing Manager - Demand at Bright Innovation