We’re looking for a backend Ruby-on-Rails developer to join acasa, helping scale our home management app. Starting in Feb 2018. Competitive salary + benefits depending on experience.
Our purpose is to build foundational technology for the home to help the world live better together, making the day-to-day problems people have in managing their living situation disappear. We’ve already built an app being used by thousands of houses across the world to track and split their shared household costs, and have now moved into setting up people’s household bills and utilities to be managed through the acasa app. The acasa app was launched in 2015 (as Splittable), and we are a funded startup, backed by some of the best investors in London, including Seedcamp and Playfair Capital. We’re based in Shoreditch, but don’t worry, you don’t have to like artisan coffee to work here.
The acasa backend supports our web, iOS and Android apps. It’s a Ruby/Rails 5 stack with Postgres, Redis and Resque. We use Wercker for continuous integration; testing, static analysis (RuboCop / Brakeman etc) and automatic deployment happens multiple times a day.
We’re looking for someone with strong technical experience to help us build a lot of new backend infrastructure and APIs to improve acasa for our growing user base. You’ll also be steering us towards the best systems, clouds and hosts for creating an architecture that can help us scale over the next 12 months, primarily with our household service and payments integrations. You’ll need strong opinions and stellar communication skills to help us deliver on this work while staying lean and fast.
We use Trello to stay agile, managing the product roadmap and current sprints with the development team, and Slack for team communication.
You’ll be encouraged to get stuck in with new tools, frameworks and languages and stretch yourself into new areas. We are committed to a culture of learning and personal development for everyone at the company, and our developers are no exception!
You’ll be joining an agile and highly motivated team where you’ll have the opportunity to learn quickly from the people who built acasa from scratch (that’s us!) and our network of mentors.
For us, this is deeply personal. Because we are the customer. We are Generation Rent. We inherently understand and respect the home, the individuals, the relationships, challenges and dynamics of the housing market. We’ve felt the frustrations, dealt with the disappointments and put up with the problems. And we are completely obsessed with solving them.
That’s why we started acasa. To build foundational technology that runs the home, so the world can live better, together.
Our values are simple, but we live and breathe them:
- Live and learn
- Give a shit
- Be a champion
- need to be proficient in Ruby and ideally have multiple years of experience working with Rails apps.
- have familiarity with setting up monitoring systems and the usual sysadmin plumbing.
- have experience with test and build automation, as everyone is expected to contribute towards making those processes as smooth as possible within the team. We use RSpec, RuboCop and other code quality tools to help keep everything in shape.
- have great communication skills to convince us that your way is the right way for us for now.
In addition, we love people who:
- have a history of side projects and self-motivated learning
- possess an intense curiosity to identify trends and ship fantastic products
- are highly motivated and self organised, with an eye for detail
- are not afraid to voice your ideas about how we can always get better
- are disappointed if you haven’t learnt anything new today
- have great taste in software and services
Please forward your CV, GitHub profile and any portfolio to jobs+backend-rails-developer [at] helloacasa [dot] com
More like this
- Product Designer (UI/UX) at Geckoboard
- Full-Stack Engineer at Thriva
- Market Development Representative at Keboola
- Digital Marketer at Makers Academy
- Enterprise Sales Manager at Keboola
- React Native Developer at Flex
- Go developer at Vega Protocol
- Creative Technologist in Data Science 🤓 at Decoded
- Sales & Partnerships Manager (Business Development at ILoveGin.com