We’re recruiting for a Senior Backend Engineer to deliver a backend system that takes over 750k bookings a month from over 5.5 million active users.
JustPark is changing the way people move around our cities. With over 5m customers, we’re helping over 30% of motorists across the UK make smarter and more sustainable transport decisions. Our award-winning product is backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Index Ventures (Deliveroo, Skype) and LocalGlobe (Citymapper), and we’re one of the fastest-growing companies in Europe.
But our ambition doesn’t stop there - we're continuing to deliver innovative solutions that solve customer problems, from our leading P2P marketplace and EV charging network to our B2B platform and commercial offering.
About the role
This position is all about building a backend that delivers new tools and products to 5.5 million users, building solutions that ensure our customers experience a world-class service from our products.
As a senior engineer, you will get to contribute to key architectural decisions that shape the future of the stack at scale. You’ll also be expected to take charge of technical delivery and guide the more junior members of the team around you as we work together daily.
About our tech stack
We use Laravel 8 and PHP 7.4 as our daily drivers. Our current architecture is fairly monolithic, predominantly sat in Laravel as our main API and remnants of legacy desktop. We have a bunch of surrounding services written in Go, Java, Python and Node also, state is held in Redis, MySQL and PostgreSQL.
As we scale we recognise that our architecture will need to change and so we are planning to embark shortly on a refactor into microservices. We will be using Golang and Laravel to do this as we try and standardise the backend stack.
We operate in a hybrid cloud environment, utilising AWS and Google, and our infrastructure is cloud native - we have recently completed our migration of our entire production stack into kubernetes and docker.
We work to agile methodologies. Peer review of work is expected from all engineers, and we work in a test driven fashion as often it allows, but understand sometimes we might need to kick some code about for a bit before we’ve got the right implementation then refactor and pin in test. We are big on pair programming and encourage it wherever possible.
Working for JustPark
To give you more of an idea of the kind of projects you’ll be working on, here are just some of the initiatives our backend and platform teams have delivered recently
- We facilitated more bookings in the one 12 month period than in the history of JustPark. All with minimal downtime and a great user experience from our highly performant systems
- Developed a dynamic pricing system that automatically adjusts pricing to meet occupancy demand, which has had a big impact on revenue.
- Delivering microservices, using GRPC, go and docker, refactoring our backend systems to build a highly scalable architecture that will facilitate increased business growth.
- Refactored the legacy codebases heavily allowing us to ensure they can deal with request volume optimally, as fast as possible.
- We migrated our data from AWS to Google cloud, migrating billions of rows of data with zero downtime.
- We’ve moved all existing applications into a cloud native architecture, taking advantage of things like canary releases and fast rollbacks allowing us to ship with confidence knowing that we have safety nets in place.
- Written our own pricing engine, that can handle any car parks pricing structure
- Offline minute by minute pricing for our apps - allowing us to charge our customers more fairly for the time they’ve used
JustPark HQ is based in Camden, and most of our employees work there, but we offer flexibility around remote working and already operate with a distributed engineering effort, and we’ve invested in this area to make the experience as seamless as possible.
This is the right role for you if:
- You have experience with Laravel & PHP
- You're comfortable testing your code and are familiar with TDD best practices
- You want to share your knowledge, and have a track record of mentoring junior engineers
- You want to build a career working on a market-leading product with a talented team of engineers
We’re looking for someone who can bring their tried and tested experience to JustPark to help us shape our Engineering team. Even with all that experience, though, we don’t expect you to be an expert on our systems or code base from day one!
We value people who are smarter than us and can teach us something new. You’ll be able to stand up for something you believe is right, and challenge when you see something that could be better. And you’ll welcome the challenge from your team when they do the same, because we’re all working towards a common goal.
We’re here to deliver a solution that makes life better for our customers. To do that you’ll need to see beyond just your role and understand how our business fits together to see the impact we all have on one another. You’ll seek out people here at JustPark and in the wider engineering community who inspire you, educate you and show you new ways of working.
We care about quality, and we expect the same from every person in the team. We laugh at our mistakes, but we don’t make them more than once. When things go wrong, we focus on finding a solution, support each other to make it right again and learn from it to do better in the future.
We trust you to know what’s needed to get the job done. So whether you need to work hours that suit you or work remotely, we’ll work with you to make sure you have the right kit and the right environment for you to succeed. Plus we know it's not all about work! That's why we also offer a range of benefits.
- Stock options
- Free lunch cooked daily
- Unlimited holiday
- Learning & development allowance
- Enhanced maternity
- Cycle scheme
- Monthly parking credit
- Team social budget, quarterly away-days and yearly retreats
For more information on our values, how we work and why you should join the team, check out our careers page.Apply for this job
More like this
- Senior Software Engineer at Hurree
- Solutions Architect at Hurree
- Technical Researcher at Hurree
- API Intergrations Specialist at Hurree
- Senior Backend Developer (Node.js) at Caravelo
- Full Stack Developer at Landscape
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Android Developer at AppLaunch
- Senior full stack developer at PetsApp
- Backend engineer at Everpress