If you're a data scientist with a proven track record of deploying AI and/or ML in a production environment, this is your opportunity to join a real rocket ship. We’ve secured funding and are about to commence raising our next round, you’ll have total control to build against our vision and we’re an industry recognised disruptor of the travel space being featured by the likes of Skift, The Guardian, The Telegraph and Lonely Planet. Get on board!
✈️About BRBBRB’s goal is to make travel something you experience, not something you plan. In August 2018 we launched as the world’s first travel subscription platform; providing our customers 3 short breaks a year for a monthly fee. We looked at the last 20 years of innovation in the travel industry and realised nobody had tackled the most painful part of travelling - actually booking it. With BRB we strive to make it possible to book your next getaway in 60 seconds, so all our customers need to do is turn up at the airport and start their adventure. We’ve been highlighted by Skift as one of the top startups to watch in 2019, featured on CNBC and written about in major publications like the Guardian and Telegraph. With a fast-growing user base of customers excited for their next adventures with us. Our goal is to revolutionise the way millennials engage with travel, by making it social, mobile and effortless. We fundamentally believe seeing more of the world shouldn’t be a black hole in your monthly budget, or a full-time job to organise.
👌The RoleWe have a working product in market and strong traction. The next stage of our growth is to create a leading recommendation engine for the travel industry. We have the ability to gain more data points on each customer than any other traditional travel provider in the industry - leaving open the opportunity to create a new class of recommendation systems for customers and our in house team of travel bookers - that's where you come in! We want you to work with us to build a system that can understand customer profiles and match them to destination cities - and in future hotel products and in destination experiences. This system should be able to be accessed via an API - consuming data from various sources and returning answers in a JSON format.
What does this look like in practice?We want to build the world's best matching algorithm between people and travel products. At its simplest level, imagine: 1. Customer A comes through our website and signs up, providing us with a number of data points. We then build a fingerprint of that customer and a complex profile of their interests and match that to complex profiles of cities. We then learn that Customer A loved their trips to cities X and Y but weren't so keen on Z. 2. Customer B comes to the site with a similar profile to Customer A - we still send that customer to cities X and Y but this time we substitute city Z for a new city, Customer B has a way better time, and future customers with that profile have an optimised pathway through BRB. 3. We start to expand this recommendation system from Customers <> Cities to Customers → Cities → Hotels → Experiences. 4. We layer third party data to create unique opportunities. Imagine how cool it would be if we sent you to a city that your favourite band is playing in because you connected your Spotify Account. Or arranged an automatic room upgrade and a bottle of champagne because we know from Facebook that it's your anniversary weekend. To achieve this we know we need to gather more in depth knowledge of our customers - what data points should we be gathering, how should we be gathering them? Where should we get data to build our city profiles? What's the relevant information - population densities? Number of mountains? Number of live music venues? All of it can be used to generate unique properties that make for an incredible data set that isn't being explored by any of the agencies in the travel market. This is your opportunity to explore data opportunities in the travel space and build world-class algorithms that other companies would struggle to build because of their transactional relationships with customers.
- Own the data matching algorithms at BRB.
- Create new tools to improve the customer experience at BRB and improve people's lives with regular travel.
- Identify and communicate new data opportunities for the BRB platform.
- Collaborate with the CPO to implement new data gathering mechanisms that provide value to both BRB and the customer.
- Documenting what you've built and the experimentations and learnings gathered at each point.
- Sometimes you might need to treat requirements as assumptions and validate them.
💥Required skills, competencies and experience
- A proven track record of building and optimising recommendation engines.
- Prior experience in greenfield projects - whether that be a startup, a research project or new implementation of technology at a larger corporate.
- Prior experience of deploying algorithms and models in a production environment for use by other teams (potentially through Flask and AWS).
- Experience communicating with stakeholders and being involved with defining the outputs for your project. This could be through roadmaps or planning meetings.
- Experience with NLP and social listening tools via Twitter / Instagram / Facebook a benefit. What technologies / frameworks will be needed?
- Python - comfortable with main data science libraries (e.g. Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-learn)
- Recommender Systems Libraries (e.g. Prediction.io, LightFM)
- Web Frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- SQL/NoSQL databasesCloud Services (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud)
- You love learning new things and applying existing knowledge to new problems.
- You're great at managing your time and and driving momentum within the business by subscribing to lean methodologies. Research and testing will be embedded into your process. You will use tools and methods that help move forward quicker, faster and with confidence.
- Be solution-focused - make sense of a problem space by proposing and trying solutions. You can think creatively and are resourceful.
- You are an owner. You don’t wait for other people to tell you what to do.
- The perfect process doesn’t exist. You constantly think about ways to improve your day to day environment and business processes.
- You can explain complex technology to non-technical stakeholders.
- You have a customer-centric mindset. BRB is here to make people’s lives easier - and you want to be part of that journey.
- You enjoy travel and want to make it better!
- We’ve got to where we are with a team of 5 people, this means everyone pulls their weight across different business areas.
- Now that we’ve secured funding, and in preparation for our Series A, we want to build an exceptional team to propel the business forward and own each discipline to create operational excellence.
- Use the product you're building. 3 weekends away every year on us.
- Be part of a thriving community. We're part of a larger cohort of startups at Founders Factory, this gives you the opportunity to learn something from another business every day, and hear talks from some of the brightest minds in the London and Global tech scene. In the last year we've had talks from the CEO of eBay, were the first tech hub visited by a new government minister
- Flexible working hours Some people love 7am, others love 7pm - as long as you're able to contribute and communicate with the rest of the team easily, we'll be happy.
- Generous Equity percentage We want you to own the data science at BRB - and in return you'll own a portion of BRB.
- Mentorship Founders Factory has an in-house team of data scientists - as well as a larger ecosystem of people developing AI/ML solutions. If you don't know how to solve a problem - there will be someone in the building who can help.
- Personal Growth We're building a business that has never existed before and that has impressive year 1 growth and traction. This is an incredible opportunity to be part of an early stage business about to scale at a rapid speed.
- Free food Lunches on Thursdays and Fridays are provided free of charge, giving the team an opportunity to take some time out together each week. (Also free breakfast, tea and coffee - but that's a bit more standard).
References Skift - https://skift.com/2019/06/20/skift-top-travel-startups-to-watch-2019  CNBC Interview - https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/07/19/will-vacations-soon-be-subscription-based-liked-netflix.html  The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/jan/09/random-holiday-generator-city-break-surprise-destinations-brb  The Telegraph - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/brb-subscription-travel-holidays
Salary range £50,000 — 60,000
More like this
- Front End Engineer at Legl
- User Experience Designer at Waggel
- Operations Associate at The Wine List
- Senior Product Manager at Onfido
- Sale Executive / Junior BDM at Zipcube
- Customer Success Manager at Zipcube
- Lead Product Engineer at Onloan
- Growth Marketing Manager at Finance Unlocked
- UX Researcher at SPYSCAPE
- Marketing and Growth Manager at 23 Code Street