Location: Home based Immediately
CyberOwl is looking for an experienced DevOps Team Lead to manage and optimise our DevOps capability.
You must regard yourself as a people person, able to motivate and inspire others with your enthusiasm and energy. You must be someone who can remain calm and focussed when dealing with high pressure scenarios and have a demonstrable ability to organise and prioritise your workload.
As an organisation we embrace the spirit of constant improvement, so you will be required to ensure that the team is set up for success by helping them to find ways to continuously improve their ways of working as well as identifying other factors that improve their overall agility.
You will need a good knowledge of what is regarded as best practice for a DevOps team, as you will have the remit to reconfigure and restructure our processes and procedures as you think is necessary to ensure that the function is able to scale and grow and remains fit for purpose as our business continues to rapidly expand.
You must be willing to develop a detailed understanding of a complex environment and take an active technical leadership role in the deployment planning process.
We have an awful lot on our roadmap, so you must be comfortable in working in a fast moving and reactive product development environment.
CyberOwl helps asset operators in the maritime and critical national infrastructure sectors gain visibility, cyber security and cyber compliance of systems on their distributed, remote assets. We provide technologies, a managed service and specific cyber security advisory services to support the asset operator.
Our technologies provide near-real-time visibility of the behaviours of assets and their communication patterns. They are deployed to identify and inventory assets on the IT and OT networks of these operational platforms. They detect and raise early warning of cyber attack tactics, techniques and procedures; identify anomalous and suspicious activity; and monitor for non-compliance with cyber security policies. These are delivered through a modular, distributed architecture that is optimised for environments facing the challenges of intermittent connectivity, bandwidth constraints and the need for remote management.
Our managed service provides assurance and support to asset operators with any level of cyber expertise. We support security operations through alert verification, triaging and providing guidance on appropriate cyber incident response actions.
CyberOwl was shortlisted for the Lloyds Science of Risk Prize, selected into the first GCHQ Cyber Accelerator Programme and is part of the UK Government's centre of excellence for cyber security innovation - the London Office for Rapid Cybersecurity Advancement (LORCA).
Please read the attached job description and person specification and ensure you have the specific skill sets we are looking for. Should this be the case, please send a covering letter and CV to our Operations Manager, Dan Eccles, at [email protected]
DevOps Team Lead
Reports To: Chief Technology Officer
Salary: £60,000-£65,000 depending upon experience
● Owning and improving the Change Management, Release and Deployment Management processes.
● Supporting the review, validation, prioritisation, updating and scheduling of all change/ release requests.
● Liaising with the relevant stakeholders involved with an approved change to ensure activities are coordinated and carried out according to a plan.
● Managing and appropriately escalating delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes associated to the product development initiatives.
● Conducting reviews on changes that have been implemented to verify that all steps were completed, and the objective of the change was achieved.
● Increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of our release automation pipelines.
● Maintaining our internal knowledge bank to share and disseminate technical information with the team.
● Developing and building the team to cope with expanding workloads.
● Assigns and monitors work of technical personnel, ensuring that deployments are done in the best possible way.
● Implementing quality control and review systems throughout the development and deployment processes.
● Defining the standards of stability, scalability and security required to maintain best practices.
● Communicating with the stakeholders on the risks and issues of major changes / releases.
● Proactively communicate and negotiate to resolve priority conflicts.
● Contributing to the review of high impact and or emergency changes.
● Supporting the post-implementation review evaluating project results, including client satisfaction.
Required Key Skills
● Previous experience working with AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins is essential.
● Ideally you must have a technical background and exposure to cybersecurity is a bonus but in no way essential.
● Confident working within a complex technical landscape.
● Demonstrable experience with a multi-platform, mult-release environment.
● Good communication (both verbal and written), senior stakeholder management skills and ability to present qualitative information clearly
● Knowledge of scrum, agile, kanban and DevOps-based delivery
● Experience of JIRA and Confluence.
● Experience with Java, Python and Golang software stacks, build and deployments tools.
● AWS Networking (VPN, VPC, Routing, etc.)
Professional Experience Level
● 5+ years Linux (Ubuntu)
● 4+ years AWS
● 4+ years Kubernetes, Docker
● 3+ Kafka, SQL
● 2+ GIT, Jenkins, Ansible
● You must have excellent communication skills both written and verbal,
● We are looking for a completer-finisher with an eye for detail.
● You will need to demonstrate that you are both innovative and resourceful and able to adapt to a fast moving, dynamic environment.
● You must be comfortable prioritising your workload and delegating tasks to other team members.
● You must be comfortable working in a start-up environment and show the requisite degree of flexibility that means you can cope with last minute changes and shifting priorities.
● You must be methodical with an aptitude for analytical thinking.
● You must show that you are a capable leader and able to mentor and direct others within your team.
● You must be disciplined and process driven but you are also required to have an empathetic nature and understand the importance of the person.
● You must be skilled in the art of active listening and able to elicit information from all sorts of people.
● You must be able to demonstrate your ability to work calmly and accurately in a high-pressure environment.
The development team at CyberOwl is geographically dispersed so you must be comfortable working in such an environment. The role is predominantly home based, and you must be able to demonstrate that you have the requisite self-discipline and organisational skills to be effective working this way.
As a start-up, CyberOwl is often in “all hands to the pumps” mode so you must be excited and enthused by the idea of trying to attain flawless execution at speed.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and does not form part of your contract terms. It is an outline of the areas of activity and responsibility and, like all such documents, will be amended from time to time in the light of the changing needs of CyberOwl Limited.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK and must be willing to be security cleared.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender, marriage/civil partnerships, pregnancy, maternity or age.
Salary range £60,000 — 65,000
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior Front End Engineer at TodayTix Group
- API Intergrations Specialist at Hurree
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Web Developers – Front-end / Full-stack at Artlogic
- Director of Business Development at Fleksy by Thingthing Ltd.
- Data Scientist at Coefficient Systems Ltd
- Product Designer (Insights) at CitizenLab
- Brand Designer at CitizenLab
- DevOps Engineer at CitizenLab
- Tech Lead (Ruby/React) at CitizenLab