What makes Ably special?
Ably (www.ably.io) provides the serverless infrastructure developers need to build applications, services, and APIs for the realtime Internet. We operate a high-performance, globally-distributed data stream network that delivers more than two billion messages each day. And we’re growing fast. To put things into perspective, Twitter sends just 500 million Tweets per day.
Our customers range from global enterprises - such as HubSpot, OfferUp, and Tennis Australia - to pioneering startups powering complex air traffic control systems for drones. Organizations choose Ably because we make hard system architecture and infrastructure problems easy.
You'll be working with a deeply technical engineering team who collectively bring a wealth of experience and broad technology skills. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites us each day and motivates us. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably. Our team is made up of a hybrid remote and local team, yet our our base is in London and growing. We are strong believers in face-to-face communication where possible. This role can be remote, part-remote or on-site. Either way, it must be practical for you to travel to our office London for face-to-face meetings if you are looking to work more remotely.
Day to day you can expect to:
- Work on the core realtime platform which is largely Node.js and Go. We are looking for developers who have a strong track record in at least one of these technologies.
- Solve distributed systems problems. Find out what it takes to be a distributed systems engineer.
- Own and be responsible for the complete lifecycle of your features and code, all the way through to deployment.
- Contribute to open source projects that we support or use in our products, including our open source client libraries.
- Salary range: £50k to £85k. Depends entirely on skills and experience.
- Holidays: 25+ days excluding national holidays. Can be negotiated.
- Flexible working environment combining remote and/or onsite working.
- Skills development is inherently part of the job. You will be working with a wide range of technologies and solving distributed systems problems.
- Our customers are themselves developers - you will be helping those customers solve their own technical challenges.
What we can offer you – in brief
Engineering at Ably means working on a cutting-edge product and contributing to genuine innovation that’s shaping the future of the Internet. You’ll have the freedom to take ownership of the code and full development lifecycle of features you work on - from initial commit to global rollout. You’ll learn with the best and be part of a dynamic team. And we realize people don’t fit into boxes. Everyone at Ably has the autonomy and flexibility they need to do their best work, experiment on a daily basis, and improve their skills.
Join us now and you’ll be in early at a business going places, learn new things everyday, work closely with the founding team, and, honestly, have loads of fun.
- General: We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate an interest in technically challenging topics in computing, especially relating to realtime and distributed systems, networking and systems programming. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate their ability to contribute and solve problems in these areas via professional experience and/or personal projects. Ultimately, ability will outweigh specific experience when reviewing candidates for this position.
- Experience: We don't have any specific experience requirements that are essential for the role. We will strongly prefer candidates that do have a track record in Node.js or Go, or can show experience in solving problems in distributed systems, and ideally have some familiarity with systems-level programming as well experience with high-level languages.
- Open source: We prefer developers who have contributed back to the open source community, even if those contributions are small.
Salary range £50,000 — 85,000
Dependent on skills & experience
More like this
- QA Engineer at ContentCal
- Full stack developer at Dark Blue
- Experienced Marketing Professional at MindsDB
- Full Stack Engineer at Verisart
- Sales and Partnership Manager at Thirdeye Labs
- Product Designer at Verisart
- UI/UX Designer at Social Vend
- UI/UX Lead at Microtest Ltd
- Product Manager at Microtest Ltd
- Head of Design, Marketing at Dataswift Ltd