Ever fancied building a robot that makes the world a better place?
Five years ago we set out to forever change robotics with Eva, the first low-cost, high-functioning, 6-axis robot arm. Now, we’re working on the next phase of our plan by accelerating the deployment of Eva into all sorts of verticals, beginning with life-sciences laboratories. We’re designing and building a bunch of new hardware and software products to free our users from the tyranny of manual, repetitive tasks, enabling them to focus on the more creative aspects of their roles.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Cellends team, working on the software products that power our LabPods Platform. This is a new addition to our product line and a great chance to get stuck in at the beginning of a long-running effort that is crucial to our success.
As an Engineering Manager, you own the who, when and how of the product engineering effort, running a multi-disciplinary team of cross-functional team members. You are responsible for developing and nurturing and growing the talent of members of the team and providing them with the support and guidance to develop their careers. You also ensure that the team delivers to a high standard and iterates rapidly and consistently on the product we are working on.
You collaborate with your Product Manager counterpart on ensuring the team is tackling the highest value work at the right time. You have the freedom to identify and hire the right talent that helps your team achieve its goal within the context of the broader product and technology strategy. You work with our Lead Engineers in ensuring consistency of quality of technical delivery against architectural and design principles.
You won’t be expected to be hands-on but we won’t stand in your way if you want to contribute as an IC as and when you want to or are able to.
How do you fit in?
- You’re curious and passionate about automation. No robotics experience is needed
- You’ve got at least 3 years experience as an Engineering Manager leading on people and delivery
- We’re agile (with a small a). We’re not big on formality or frameworks and use the tools that suit us best. You’re comfortable with change and believe that moving fast and building well-tested software quickly and iteratively in a team that is constantly improving and learning helps us deliver the most value for our users
Why should you apply?
- You’re tired of working for yet another fintech or building yet another e-commerce app selling stuff no one knew they needed (and probably don’t).
- You want to have fun working with a robot in a fast-paced environment alongside other caring and passionate people.
- You want to have an impact in ways you’ve never had before … we’re a small, young company with lots of opportunities to grow your career.
More reasons to apply
- Learning & Development 🎓 £1,000 per year to spend as you wish
- Holiday 🏖️ 25 days + 8 bank holidays per year (PLUS we close the office between Christmas and New Year)
- Private Healthcare ❤️ Vitality Health is available to all of our permanent employees
- Flexible working 🤹 Blended approach to office and WFH
- Employee referrals 💰 £1,000 per referral hired from your network
- Share Options Scheme 📈 Every team member gets a pot of stock option after probation
- Keeping you fed 🥙 Our kitchen is always stocked and we order lunch in on Fridays
- Dog-friendly offices 🐶 Lola, Evie and Alfie are the current resident pooches
Engineering at Automata
We’ve developed a set of engineering principles that guide us through our work and help us know what great looks like:
- Automate, automate, automate - we’re an automation company and hate doing things manually. We automate anything that can be automated, increasing process reliability, deployment velocity, development velocity and quality.
- We help each other - We all own the product and better work happens when we work together. We share risks and improve the product to deliver value to our customers.
- Keep it Simple - We avoid unnecessarily complicated code. We use off-the-shelf tools, technologies and libraries instead of writing it all ourselves. We prefer frequent, smaller releases over fewer, larger ones.
- Just decide already - Done is better than perfect. We make decisions based on imperfect information and believe that making the wrong decision is better than making no decision at all.
- Measure what you make - We live and breathe data. We instrument our code to track how it performs. We automate our testing so we know it works. We measure how our product behaves in the hands of our customers and use that data to inform what we do next.
- Nothing Is Sacred - We regularly reflect on our product and our ways of working. Using our learnings we change our approach to delivery and our product
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior DevOps Engineer at Mattermost
- Front-end developer at Anyone
- Full Stack Software Developer at CAST
- Product Designer at Encore
- Client facing Frontend Developer at Day Digital
- Head of Sales at inploi
- Finance Manager at Playter
- Marketing Manager at Playter
- Engineering Manager at Splyt