Is writing the first line of code on a brand new product something that scares you? What about hiring an engineering team? Setting up the tools, infrastructure, defining the architecture in the first few weeks in the job too much for you? If the early years give you energy, continue reading.
We are a small team of experienced entrepreneurs, with a significant investment from a premier investor, taking on one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century: The healthcare industry. The part of the industry that touches people lives directly using modern technology, that helps them get care when needed and gives them peace of mind during some of the least fun moments in life. We can't say too much about it, but we have a few buzz words to throw out there: Mobile, AI, digital, universal access, easy to use, beautiful, modern, integration, global, behavioural science.
You are a top engineer, architecture connoisseur, lead-by-example kind of person. You've been there and done that. You know the hundreds (thousands?) of gotchas for building an infrastructure to support Mobile, Web, Email, SMS experiences and more. You can balance engineering excellence with the business and product needs. And, you do it fast, really fast.
This opportunity is not for the faint-hearted. A lot of responsibilities will rest on your shoulders, and the expectations are high. You'll be the first engineer in the team and the first leader. Your beliefs and philosophies will define the engineering team beliefs and philosophies. You'll help us craft the product, the processes, the tools, and, most important of all, the team. We are just starting out, and we have great clarity in our vision and mission; now we need to figure out the how and what.
What we expect from you:
- You have a formal education in Computer Science, Computer Engineer, or equivalent (in place of that, you acquired those skills after many years of on-the-job training, working with other extraordinary software engineers).
- You are a master at software architecture, componentisation, microservices, infrastructure, etc.
- You are pragmatic and don't overdo on abstraction, testing, and processes, but you understand the value and trade-offs.
- You are comfortable with all the duties of DevOps, from continuous integration to cloud management, sprinkled with some DBA skills. In the early days, we'll have to share these responsibilities with other people on the team until we hire for that role.
- You are very comfortable defining APIs, building backend services, using relational databases (and document-based / NoSQL DB), messaging queues, cloud services (AWS or Azure), etc.
- You are good (or great) at HTML, CSS, JS, and some of the modern web frameworks (React, Bootstrap, Angular, SASS / LESS, etc.)
- You've worked with mobile developers, lead a team of mobile developers, or built mobile applications yourself.
- You've managed developers and know many exceptional developers here in London (we'll need to hire them as well).
- Oh, and you are great with people! You'll be a manager. You'll also participate in strategic decisions, board meetings, and even customer visits every once in a while.
- What about the technology stack? You get to pick it from one of the moderns one: NodeJS, .NET, Python, etc. (Sorry, but no-go for RoR or PHP)
What you'll get from us:
- Work with talented individuals, where you can learn from and teach each other.
- Accelerate your career by ten years in just three!
- Great freedom to be the best that you can be (and become better): flexible hours, access to whatever devices & software you need.
- Work on a meaningful product to help people, doctors, nurses, and more.
- Work in the heart of London in a very cool office space.
- A top of the market salary and compensation package.
We are firm believers in the value of diversity and equality at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
This position is based in London, and we work at a fantastic co-working space in Oxford Circus. We are not interested in remote workers, contractors, or working with recruiters. Your compensation will be above market (we saved the money we'd pay a recruiter and bump up your salary), and you'll get many other real benefits.
We are biased by competency, action, kindness, collaboration, speed, and modern approaches and look forward hearing from you.
Salary range £85,000 — 100,000
More like this
- Full-Stack Engineer at Crowdcube
- Technical Co-Founder/Engineering Director at Style Points
- Back End Developer - C# & .NET at DoctorLink
- Senior Mobile Developer (iOS or Android) at DoctorLink
- Senior Product Manager at DoctorLink
- Software Engineering Coach at Makers Academy
- Lead Full Stack Developer at DoctorLink
- Senior Python Engineer at Growth Street
- Fullstack Software Engineer at OnCare
- Software Engineer at Ariana Health