It's a little known fact, but visitors from outside the EU can get value-added tax (VAT) back on their shopping when they visit Europe. After Brexit, residents of England, Scotland and Wales who are shopping in the EU are also eligible to shop tax free, which means they can enjoy savings by claiming back the VAT on their purchases . A range of goods including fashion items, cosmetics, technology, jewellery, food and wine are eligible for a VAT refund.
Wevat is on a mission to make it really simple for international travellers to get VAT back on their shopping, with a service that started in the UK and is about to launch in France.
Wevat was founded in London in 2016 as the first digital VAT refund provider for international travellers. So far, we've helped refund travellers from 88 countries more than €18 million on their shopping.
Wevat aims to make the tax-free shopping experience convenient, efficient and trustworthy for travellers with its revolutionary digital solution and customer- focused service. We believe getting tax back on your shopping should be simple and hassle-free, so you can spend your time and money on better things. Wevat is launching its service in Europe to let travellers shop tax free on the go in France.
Wevat is backed by experienced investors including Entrée Capital, firstminute Capital, Sweet Capital, and Andy Phillips, former CEO of Priceline (part of Booking Holdings Inc.). We also have strong partnerships and seamless integration with innovative payment providers such as Alipay, WeChat Pay and Checkout.com.
About the role
We are rebuilding this industry from scratch as we become the definitive tax refund service for travellers all over the world. The kind of company that doesn't need travellers to know anything about tax or touch a paper form. The kind of company that proactively gives tax authorities access to its data and informs them when there's something fishy.
As a frontend engineer at Wevat, you’ll work closely with the product team to make our mission a reality. You'll be the sole frontend engineer on our team, so expect to be writing lots of code and ensuring that our frontend platform is reliable.
We are looking for a short term contractor (part time or full time) that will allow us to improve our current platform by adding new features and improving the current codebase.
The position will be fully remote (but needs to be UK timezone plus or minus 4 hours).
- Implementing new features on our frontend administration platform
- Writing readable and maintainable code
- Helping us improve the UI and UX of our platform by bouncing ideas and suggestions
- Extending our test suite, and writing some end-to-end integration tests
- Improve our platform codebase by refactoring and cleaning up legacy features
- Ability to deliver as much value as possible in the littlest time
- More than 3 years of experience in working as a frontend developer
- 1 year of hands on project experience with React.js
- REST familiarity
- Good understanding of code standards and patterns
- Focused and self motivated
- Some hands on experience with Docker and Kubernetes (optional)
- Experience working in a remote environment (open source projects count!)
- Ability to raise any blockers you have efficiently, so the team can help you keep moving at a fast pace
- Ability to thrive whilst working in a small/agile team without a lot of structure or chance to be mentored
- Flexible working environment. We care mostly about results!
- The whole team is working fully remotely, so no hybrid remote/in office meetings.
- Working in a dynamic and fast-growing tech startup.
- A friendly, multi-cultural and ambitious team.
To apply for the position, please send your CV and reference projects (if any) to [email protected] before 30th June 2021.
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior Software Engineer at Hurree
- Solutions Architect at Hurree
- Technical Researcher at Hurree
- API Intergrations Specialist at Hurree
- Senior Backend Developer (Node.js) at Caravelo
- Full Stack Developer at Landscape
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Android Developer at AppLaunch
- Senior full stack developer at PetsApp
- Backend engineer at Everpress