The most dynamic start-up in the events industry needs an in-house developer to take our platform to the next level. We're looking for someone who's ready to hit the ground running and own the technical direction of the company. If you're as keen on strategy as you are on coding, you'll be in the right place.
More about the role
If you’re looking for the next step in your career, this is a unique opportunity to participate in the overall technical direction of the company whilst broadening your skills. We’re looking for a full stack developer with 4+ years experience to join our start-up as our first in-house developer. You will be responsible for maintaining, improving performance and expanding our site to keep up with the demands of scale.
You will have had at least 4 years’ experience, ideally using Agile delivery practices, and are now looking for the next step in your career.
You will be perfect for the role if, like us, you are excited about disrupting the norm. You’ll want to be a fundamental part of something that’s changing the rules of the game and creating products that people love. You have the expertise and skills to get build and get new products to market quickly, with a real appetite to stay ahead of emerging technologies and trends.
- Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern languages
- Your code is clean and maintainable, and you try to leave things better than how you found them
- Write readable, well-structured, testable, efficient code using Agile software development
- Strong understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Experience in implementing and following coding practises and frameworks
- Experience assisting in or performing reviews of your own code
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Proficient with GIT
- You’re experienced in Agile delivery, planning sprints with Trello or similar task boards
- Implementing and using automated testing platforms and unit tests
Qualifications and Skills
- CSS, HTML, and jQuery
- Git-based workflow and deployment
- Full development lifecycle and delivery. Understanding and often playing a major part in the entire cycle of software development and delivery, from ideation, to project conception, to UX, to code, to testing, to deployment, and around again.
Nice-to-have Skills & Knowledge
- Experience developing REST APIs
- A/B testing
More about you
- A self-starter, with a ‘can do' attitude
- A real desire to develop your skills and keep ahead of latest technologies
- You are comfortable in communicating with non-technical co-workers
- You are enthusiastic about the problem-solving aspects of software development and have a pragmatic approach, fleshing out issues with consideration and appreciation of any constraints, while working collaboratively to finding a solution
- An ability to get things done quickly (whilst maintaining quality); working to a pace
- Excited about the next step in your career at a start-up, where you see your work having a direct impact on company growth
- A monthly training budget
- Pension scheme
- VIP invites to some of London’s newest restaurants, film previews and venue showcases
- Part of a creative, collaborative, hardworking and passionate team
- An open and friendly culture
- ‘Culture Club’ with quarterly trips abroad, dinners, events and surprise treats
- A well facilitated office, with Friday breakfasts, drinks, shared lunch-a-thons (hello Fun Lunch Fridays!)
- 31 days holiday (incl. bank holidays)
- Be inspired by the amazing films and events we make happen in our building and across London
Why join us?
You’ll have responsibility from day one.
After the recent iteration of the platform, we are now ready to embark on a new era of product development. We have several new revelatory products and services to launch which our clients are just crying out for and will take us to market leader.
That’s where you come in. You will have your name stamped on all of this, and you’ll be the key person to help us launch and drive these new products forward.
For busy event planners who don’t have time to call every venue in London, Canvas is a marketplace with handpicked venues to suit every event. Canvas is totally free for event planners to use, so our users get the best deal a venue can offer – always.
Unlike an event agency, we don’t charge commission and there are no hidden fees. Our venues pay an annual membership fee for their listing on the site and they handle most event enquiries directly. We've got hundreds of exciting and unique spaces, from spacious converted warehouses and majestic stately homes, to old industrial pumping stations, and beautiful little Soho cafes.
Canvas is a dynamic start-up and no day here is ever the same. In almost 5 years we have created a loved brand in the events industry, and our platform brings millions of pounds worth of enquires each month to our venues. 500 of London’s most prestigious and venues are proud to be Canvas Members, and we’ve set our sights on every venue in the city and beyond.
Part of ‘The Collective Group’
Canvas was incubated by the Collective Group, London’s leading film and photography location agency. We all operate under one collaborative and creative roof in our bright, open-plan office in Holborn. Being at the centre of the filming and events world, we also get invited to tons of freebie events, secret gigs, private screenings, product launches and venue showcases.
All team members within ‘The Collective Group’ are bonded together by the ‘Collective Culture’. It’s our core values that unite us in how we approach work and enable us to fulfil our career potential.
We put a lot of emphasis on team unity, collaboration and personal development within the whole group. We have a strong bond in the office and enjoy working, learning from and socialising together as much as possible. We regularly find opportunities to celebrate our successes together and have an internal ‘Culture Club’ gang who create surprises and fun times for the whole team to enjoy.
We value professional development. You will embark upon a programme of training and self-development via an external business coach. This is a unique direct line to improve the skills and experience of all our staff. It is critical we all keep learning and training to keep work fresh, fun and engaging.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please follow the instructions below closely.
To be considered for the next stage, each candidate will need to include the word 'Diablo' in in your cover letter so we know you made it all the way through the job description!
Please forward your cv and covering letter, stating:
a) why this is the right next step for you?
b) what can you bring to the role that sets you aside from the rest?
Equal Opportunity Statement
Canvas is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit and business need. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be - so if you have any access requirements for your interview, please let us know in your cover letter and we will work with you to ensure we can accommodate your needs. Please rest assured that informing us of any access requirements or assistance you may need will have no impact on our decision-making process for the role.
Salary range £40,000 — 50,000
More like this
- React Developer at Rotageek
- Senior Product Manager at Rotageek
- Executive Assistant at Lyvly
- Technical UI Developer at Humanising Autonomy
- Tech Lead - Bali: 5 months contract at Start Me Up
- Business Development Manager at FlatFair
- Product Designer at Nested
- Product Designer at Nested
- Senior Golang Engineer at Verisart