Bearable is a purpose-driven App that makes health tracking simple, customisable, and engaging so people can effortlessly track everything in one place and discover health correlations unique to them.
Our mission is to help 100 million people feel more in control of their health through self-care!
In just over a year we have already established ourselves as one of the leading comprehensive health trackers in the world and are fast growing in a booming mHealth market. We are still a small company and there are plenty of opportunities for you to make a huge impact!
We are looking for someone purpose-driven and enthusiastic who can hit the ground running.
# The Ideal Candidate
- You enjoy working and delivering independently
- At least 5 years commercial development experience
- You've built and deployed something for mobile (send us a link?)
- Comfortable developing React Native (at least 1.5 years work experience) code for both Android and iOS (you have your own Mac)
- You care about the product as well as the code
- You are curious and take initiative to explore new things
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, but also confident to set up something like Realm (which we’re considering soon).
- Experience writing and debugging queries.
- A good understanding of security best practices.
# Nice to Haves
- Experience using Google Firebase
- A background in health tech or at least enthusiastic and passionate about this field
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns
# Main Responsibilities
- Write, review, deploy, and maintain code in mostly React Native
- Document the systems you help build, monitor, and maintain
- Optimise all code releases to ensure ultimate performance and reliability for our end users.
- Carry out thorough testing on both newly developed and existing functionality before it gets passed to the product team for QA and UAT.
- Identify, prioritise and execute tasks in the software development life cycle.
- Coordinate with the rest of the team on prioritising feature requests and bugs
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to guide team decision making
- Debug production issues and implement fixes for them
- Manage other developers once you’re up to speed and review each other's code.
# You Might Also Work On
- Planning, prioritising & helping design new features for Bearable
- Automating our internal processes (for instance related to growth hacking)
- A new product: we're currently exploring Bearable Pro, a variant of Bearable for medical researchers and clinicians to more easily interact with their patients.
- Something completely different! As an early-stage company, we tend to be pretty "all hands on deck" when something comes up that we need to get done
- This is a fully remote, full-time position.
- Sustainable and healthy working matters to us. We care about building delightful products for our customers, not hitting arbitrary daily hour counts. We work towards bi-weekly milestones.
- A minimum of 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays
- Pension (if you’re in the UK)
- If you're outside of the UK, this position will be permanent and full-time in spirit, but a contract role on paper. The reason for this is that employment outside of the UK comes with significant challenges for a small company like ours.
# About Us
Currently there are 3 of us working at Bearable full time:
- James S (CEO, in charge of product strategy, finance and business dev)
- Jesse (Marketing whizz)
- James A (Full stack engineer)
We had been bootstrapped up until recently - having just recieved funding in December 2021, with more to follow.
More background on Bearable:
- James designed Bearable in 2018/19 to help him understand the effect that various daily activities and other factors had on his health.
- Since we launched Bearable in March 2020, over 300,000 people have used the app, with thousands becoming premium subscribers.
- We have thousands of reviews (90% 5 stars) across Google Play and Apple App Stores.
- This year we hired two new team members and want to continue growing.
- We are now well suited for growth and for making Bearable the most versatile and intelligent health tracker in the world.
# Other Tools We Use
- Segment, Mixpanel, Google Analytics
- Our landing page and blog run on Wordpress, using the Elementor Pro plugin
- Google Sheets
Disclaimer for recruiters and agencies:
**We are not interested in working with recruiters or outsourcing to development agencies.**
Salary range £50,000 — 60,000
Salary dependent on experience. Stock options also offered