Who are we
Ophelos is building digital products that help enterprises and households manage debt in a more compassionate and efficient way. Our products impact millions of peoples lives and most importantly, we support individuals and families on their journey to become debt-free.
We are a team of researchers, engineers and business leaders experienced in the fields of academic research, artificial intelligence and enterprise software technology. Before Ophelos, our team pioneered tech-solutions across enterprises and academia, for companies like Oracle, Monzo and IBM, and academic institutions such as Oxford University, the University of Amsterdam and the University of Hong Kong.
We are very well-backed by two of Europe's leading VC funds, who have supported technology companies such as Citymapper, Curve, TrueLayer, and Wayve.
The United Kingdom has a deeply rooted debt problem: In 2019, 318 people a day were declared insolvent or bankrupt - this is equivalent to one person roughly every 4 minutes! 12.8 million households have less than £1,500 in savings, and 4.8 million households live without at least one essential household appliance (fridge, freezer, washing machine, etc.).
At the same time, the way companies collect debt is deeply broken - it is an analogue, one-size-fits-all approach that does not take the individuals circumstances into consideration. Today, debt collectors still use aggressive tactics to engage with consumers over letters or phone calls, while most of us have moved to digital channels such as WhatsApp or iMessage.
Ophelos takes a radically different approach: We treat people with compassion, empathy and respect while allowing them to manage debts on their own accords. Our focus is on reimagining the customer experience by interacting with households through digital platforms and truly supporting them on their journey to become debt-free and beyond.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an exceptional full-stack engineer who thrives in challenging and fast-paced environments. You will help us build a product that focuses on getting people out of debt, so your work will have a direct and meaningful impact on the lives of millions of households. We are a small team, which means you will have responsibility, ownership and independence.
About the role
What the job involves
- Design, implement and deliver software features with full ownership, using your technical expertise
- Specifically, implement Payments/Transactions and Messaging APIs, and frontend/backend services for our debt management platform
- Deliver implementations from start to finish, including the deployment of new services by following our CI/CD process
- Take ownership of business-critical components, ensure their stability & maintainability
- Collaborate with product stakeholders and other members of the team to scope and estimate optimal solutions for business problems
What we would like to see
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer (preferably in FinTech or Financial Services)
- Excellent software engineering knowledge: Clean architecture & design patterns, SOLID design principles and test-driven code
- Experience in working with AWS and cloud services such as EC2, RDS, S3 etc.
- Experience in building production-grade APIs (both internal and external facing)
- Self-learner, independent, and a pragmatic approach to problem-solving
- Strong communication skills, proposing new ideas and challenging the status quo
Good to have
- Experience working with data lake services
- Built serverless applications/services
- Familiar with event-sourcing patterns and domain-driven design
- Appreciation for great product design
Our Culture & Values
We put people first: Everything we do is focused on helping households get out of debt.
Question everything: Changing an old industry is hard. We will only succeed if we question everything that makes up the collections business. We consciously take this approach to create an experience that is unique - our goal is to be the odd ones out.
Fail fast - learn faster: No one grows by repeating the same things. We love to move fast and take risks - failure is part of the journey and the best way for us to improve.
Stronger together: We are building a team-oriented organisation that is diverse and inclusive. We expect everyone to ask questions, over-communicate and make time for other team members when they are in need.
Life at Ophelos
We deeply care about people. Our mission is to treat everyone with compassion, empathy and respect - and this includes our team.
💰 Stock Options
📚 Learning & Personal Development Allowance
🩺 Health & Wellness Benefits
🏢 Office in the Heart of London (+Snack Bar!)
💃 Team Activities (Team Lunches, After-Work Activities, etc.)
📅 Flexible Working Hours & Work From Home Opportunities
🏝 24 Days Holidays + Bank Holidays
Salary range £50,000 — 90,000
Salary depends on experience. On top we offer stock options to all of our employees.
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Lead Developer at Media Exchange Group Ltd
- Technical Director at Podium Network Ltd
- Data Engineer at Podium Network Ltd.
- Full Stack Developer at Podium Network Ltd.
- Software Engineer at Automata
- Front-End Developer at Automata
- Product Designer at GetAgent
- Product Lead - Pace Pricing at Pace
- Compliance Manager at ihorizon
- Ecommerce Solutions Consultant at We Make Websites