Our site is currently comprised of a small number of Node.js services covering: universally rendering our React UI, our API business logic and PDF rendering. We also have a number of other small, custom internal services (e.g. slackbot, Trello API integrations, CS tools) that help the rest of the team do their jobs.
At Farewill, we’re out to change the way the world deals with death. Helping people to take control, personally and financially, of what matters to them after they’re gone.
We launched our first product – our will-writing service – in December 2016, and since then we’ve grown to be the largest will-writer in the UK.
Our growth to date has been driven by an exceptional product (see our customer reviews) and key strategic partnerships. We’ve been featured in Forbes, The Times, The Guardian and on Radio 4 among others. We’re also making waves in the charity world – with over £45 million raised for charities on our platform from gifts left in wills.
We’re a creative, focused team who love what we do. We have backgrounds in design, technology, behavioural psychology, and management consultancy. We love to learn from each other and our customers, and grow together as a team.
Based in Haggerston, we’re backed by some of the best investors in Europe – from the founders of Zoopla and Wonga, to Kindred Capital, SAATCHiNVEST, JamJar and The Daily Mail & General Trust.
This is an unusual, fascinating, and emotional area to work in – if you’re up for a big challenge we’d love to meet you. You can find out more about our team here.
You’ve worked in multi-disciplinary product teams and alongside other developers; ideally this would be in the form of another ecommerce product at scale. You’re open to sharing knowledge and improving our standards and team processes, be it through pairing/group programming, code review or other methods.
IN THE NEXT 12 MONTHS YOU WILL:
- Contribute to building new features and services as part of a multi-disciplinary agile team, ensuring that our standards and uptime are high and that we can scale to meet demand.
- Maintain existing features, keeping them in line with best practices and new technologies.
- Gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make autonomous decisions.
- Work on internal tools and help the rest of the team solve their inefficiencies.
- We review each others code through GitHub pull requests – you’ll also help review parts of people’s pull requests.
- Help out with at least one user testing session.
- Promote and use automation for our developer workflow, ensuring high service level and uptime as we grow.
- Share your knowledge/experience/interests with the team – be it through pairing, a company passion talk or external speaking opportunity.
- Learn new skills and techniques that improve your own work as well the team’s.
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- Empathy both towards team members and our users
- Knowledge of frontend development: CSS (we use Stylus), HTML, browser APIs
- Keen to share skills (e.g. pairing/group programming)
- Experience with databases (we use both MongoDB and Postgres)
- Experience with version control (ideally Git & Github)
NICE TO HAVES
- Prior exposure to dev practices and tooling
- Finesse and focus on frontend work – crafting delightful user interfaces
- DevOps experience (we currently use Heroku and CircleCI in our deployments)
- Experience developing ETL pipelines or dashboards
- Database design experience
- Web accessibility experience
- Beautiful office near the canal, team lunches, giant stone head, free jumpers
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people’s lives and deaths
- Influence, trust, and impact inside a well-funded startup that’s scaling
- Work alongside other friendly, passionate and talented people
- Competitive salary
- Santander cycles membership!
- Choose your own equipment
- Support and opportunities to grow through dedicated time and resources to learn
- Regular off-site days and team lunches
- Work from home on Wednesdays, flexible start and end to your day
- 25 days holiday leave, not including public holidays
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you.
Application deadline: 30th June
OUR HIRING PROCESS
Inviting someone to join our team is a big deal for us and we put a lot of time and effort into the process. If we figure out we’re not perfect for each other at any stage we’ll let you know as soon as possible. Here’s how it’ll look for the person joining us:
1. Send us your CV along with maximum 150 words on why this role is perfect for you.
2. We’ll invite you for a 20 minute phone call or video call to learn more about your goals and experience. You’ll 3. also be able to ask questions about Farewill and the role.
3. We’ll then give you an exercise that is relevant to the role, and run a more detailed interview in person to hear more about you and your experience. We will make sure this is at a time that is convenient for you.
4. If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.
DIVERSITY MONITORING QUESTIONS
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and monitoring how our company is representing different groups of people through our hiring process.
We will ask you some demographic questions as part of the application process. Every question has a ‘Prefer not to say’ option.
These questions are not used for hiring of the role itself. This data will be used to help us determine whether our hiring process is fair and comfortable for everyone, and the data will be used to review and improve our process.
All your demographic data will be anonymised and never personally attributable to you.
More like this
- Director of Education at Nomad MBA
- Lead Software Engineer - with CTO potential at Grow Biotech plc
- Customer Success Manager at Rotageek Ltd
- Executive Assistant at Lyvly
- Customer Service Executive at Lyvly
- Strategic Business Development Manager at Gravity Sketch
- Software Engineer at Alterest
- Sales Manager / Business Development Manager at We Make Websites
- Infrastructure Engineer at re:infer