Alva supports women through menopause with evidence-based information, assessment and treatment. Our mission is to reduce menopause suffering and help all women live longer in good health.
By 2025, over 1 billion will be in menopause. 80% have symptoms, of which 36% experience severe and sometimes debilitating symptoms. These can last up to 15 years (7 years on average).
In the UK 13 million women are in menopause, and 58% can't access menopause services locally. The average waiting time for these NHS menopause services? 6 months.
Beyond the numbers, a tremendous amount of women are suffering and there are significant barriers to them accessing the treatments they need. The consequences at home, at work and for the long term of menopause are severe.
We're building a comprehensive digital healthcare service from the ground up to make excellent menopause care accessible to accessible to all. By all we mean women of every age, ethnicity, sociodemographic background, sexual orientation and disability. Although the platforms health services are for women - we're also passionate about including men and families in our menopause conversation to really break the stigma. What we're building is inclusive to all.
Our product has 3 key areas: education, assessment and treatment. So far we've launched our content library and our menopause assessment which over 10,000 women have completed since launching in January. Now we're building our first treatment products.
We're hiring two full-stack engineers to join our tight-knit product team and work across all areas of the business. We're looking for people who are excited by challenge of building a complex and comprehensive digital health service from the ground up. As our “founding team” we’ll build both our platform and our company together.
Read more about Alva
About this role
What you'll be doing
- Developing our consumer-facing and internal products as part of a small product team.
- Working across our backend and frontend.
- Developing and maintaining our accessibility-first design system from the ground up.
- Collaborating with our designer on user research, and working with other members of the team to understand their needs for internal tools.
- Collaborating on the development of our design / engineering / product team processes.
- We're a small company and it's often all hands on deck. There's a good chance you'll occasionally be helping with things beyond your role like customer support.
What we're looking for
An engineer who has some or all of the following:
- Significant experience working on consumer-facing products.
- Great communication skills; the ability to breakdown problems, explain work, and relay information in ways that help everyone move forward with a shared understanding.
- Proficiency with GraphQL, Node.js, and relational databases.
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks and patterns. We use Vue.js, but it's fine if you've never used it.
- Strong understanding of security best practices.
- A passion for treating internal tools with the same respect and effort as consumer-facing products.
- An eagerness to be actively involved in the whole product development process, not just your domain. We need everyone to think and problem solve like product managers.
- Familiarity with accessibility best practices, and an accessibility-first mindset.
- Empathy for all stakeholders in challenging engineering problems.
- A sustainable engineering mindset - decisions made with the long-term in mind.
- Attention to detail and a desire to raise the bar.
- A passion for company culture and the conviction to contribute to it.
- At this time we can only offer roles to people who have the right to live and work in the UK.
- A competitive salary with twice yearly salary reviews.
- Own a part of Alva - we have a generous employee share option scheme.
- 28 days of holiday per year, plus bank holidays. We also have an extra "birthday bank holiday" policy (take your birthday off, or the Monday after if it's on the weekend 🥳).
- Laptop / equipment of your choice.
- Flexible working hours - work at the times that are best for you.
- Pension contributions.
- A dog-friendly office 🐶with a lot of plants 🌱next to Broadway Market.
- Our benefits get reviewed periodically with input from the team.
How to apply
Please send an email to [email protected]withalva.com with
- Your resume
- Contact details and some times you'd be free for a 30 minute intro call
- What interests you about Alva and this role
- Any questions you have
If you're curious about the role but not sure you'll like it or not sure if you're qualified, schedule a quick chat with our team and we'll happily answer your questions: https://calendly.com/withalva/15min
Salary range £50,000 — 60,000
Apply for this job or share it