We’re looking for a Full Stack
product teams tackling a profound human challenge - redefining the way
the world deals with death.
Within 24 months of launching Farewill we’ve grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and favourite) will-writer in the UK - building a tight-knit, multidisciplinary team of 18 along the way.
We're proudly backed and supported by some of the best investors and entrepreneurs in Europe, from the founders of Transferwise and Zoopla, to Kindred Capital, JamJar, and SAATCHiNVEST.
Our site is currently comprised of a small number of Node.js services covering: universally rendering our React UI, our API business logic and PDF rendering. We also have a number of other small, custom internal services (e.g. Slack bot, Trello API integrations, an ETL pipeline and customer support tools) that help the rest of the team do their jobs effectively.
You’ve worked in multi-disciplinary product teams and alongside other developers; ideally this would be in the form of another digital product at scale. You’re open to sharing knowledge and improving our standards and team processes, be it through pairing/group programming, code review or other methods.
In the next 12 months
- You’ll build new features and services as part of cross-functional teams, ensuring that our standards and uptime are high and that we can scale to meet demand.
- You’ll maintain existing features, keeping them in line with best practices and new technologies.
- You’ll gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make independent decisions.
- You’ll work on internal tools to help the rest of the team.
- You’ll review code from the rest of the team through GitHub pull requests.
- You’ll have the opportunity to help out with at least one user testing session.
- You’ll share your knowledge/experience/interests with the team - be it through pairing, a company passion talk or external speaking opportunity.
- You’ll learn new skills and techniques that improve your own work as well the team’s.
- You’ll help shape the future of tech at Farewill, highlighting areas we can improve, sharing ideas and helping in hiring new team members.
- Knowledge of frontend development: CSS (we use Stylus), HTML and browser APIs
- Experience working with databases (we use MongoDB, Postgres and Redis)
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- Empathy both towards team members and our users
- Knowledge of testing (both automated and manual)
- Keen to share skills (e.g. pairing/group programming)
- Experience with version control (ideally Git & Github)
Nice to haves
- Prior exposure to effective dev practices and tooling
- Finesse and focus on frontend work - crafting delightful user interfaces
- Experience developing and deploying backend services and APIs
- Web accessibility experience
- Be part of a growing startup redefining the death industry
- Work alongside other friendly, passionate and talented people
- Competitive salary and share options
- Santander cycles membership
- Lovely, spacious, bright office in Haggerston
- Regular off-site days and team lunches
- Work from home on Wednesdays, flexible start and end to your day
- 25 days holiday
L-R, Tam, Helena, Kiran ,Constance, Jon, Tom , Holly, Natasha, Emily, Dan, Zac, Karan, Loz, Tom, Meg, Ben. Join us in time for our next team photo?
Inviting someone to join our team is a big deal for us and we put a lot of time and effort into the process. If we figure out we’re not perfect for each other at any stage we’ll let you know as soon as possible. Here’s how it’ll look for the person joining us:
- Send us your CV along with maximum 150 words on why this role is perfect for you.
- We’ll invite you for a 20 minute phone call with Tom (CTO) to learn more about your goals and experience. You’ll also be able to ask questions about Farewill and the role.
- We’ll send you a code challenge for you to complete in your own time.
- We'll invite you in to the office for a more detailed interview, a group programming session and a chance to meet more of the team.
If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and monitoring how our company is representing different groups of people through our hiring process.
Salary range £35,000 — 90,000
Dependent on experience
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- React Developer at Rotageek
- Front-end developer at Browser London
- Founding engineer at Metomic
- Customer Success Manager at Rotageek Ltd
- Executive Assistant at Lyvly
- Customer Service Executive at Lyvly
- Full Stack Developer at Gener8 Ads
- Sales Manager / Business Development Manager at We Make Websites
- Junior Web Developer at Lattimore and Friends