A little about us
We are Pirate Studios, a rapidly expanding music rehearsal studio company, currently based in 8 cities in the UK. We're planning on at least doubling that by the end of this year. A big part of our business is our online booking system, however we're also working to integrate technology into more aspects of the business, such as automatic power on/off, light controls, video/audio streaming etc.
About the Job
We're looking for an enthusiastic developer who is willing to learn new things, throw around ideas, and work as part of our small development team on various projects. It will start as a 3 month, paid part-time internship (3 days a week), with the view to taking a full-time permanent role.
Our current web stack is built in Ruby (Rails, Postgres, Redis), but anyone willing to learn new languages is welcome. We are working on rebuilding our main application into a separate API and client parts to allow us to build for new platforms more easily, such as a mobile application and integrated components inside our studios.
We're looking for someone to work in our London office in Dalston. We sometimes do R&D and testing on-site in the studios, and we work alongside a large team of people who design and build the studios.
As we'll be expanding our team we will be revising how we plan out our projects, especially as we are now moving into long-term rebuilds. Everyone's opinion is welcome and you can get stuck in with a variety of different projects straight away.
Our Current Systems
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, memcached.
- We currently have a beta system for switching power on and off in rooms written in Rust and deployed on Raspberry Pi units. Management of these devices is currently something we want to research better, as existing solutions are both limited and expensive.
- Implemented in Rails 5 as an API-only application.
- Most likely implemented in React.
- Certain functionality will be available in the studios themselves. Most likely implemented in React and Electron.
- Something we will be planning again once we have more people on board.
Admin and Support Systems
- Current solutions don't really work for us, help us design something better for our support team.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience with any backend language
- An understanding of responsive development and cross browser compatibility
- Good communication and personal skills
- Enthusiastic about technology, code and learning
- Experience with build tools and Sass
- Ruby and Git
- Varied database experience (we currently use PostgreSQL and Redis, with an experiment using RethinkDB for one project)
- Linux systems administration
- Networking experience (for our R&D work we sometimes install kit ourselves)
- Creativity is encouraged; we love sharing ideas for solutions
- Experience in some form of project-management system, such as Agile or Scrum
- As a music startup we obviously have a lot of staff who are excited about music, performance, or production. It's not a requirement but if that's your sorta thing then our project may be more exciting for you!
- Competitive salary based on experience
- 22 days of holiday leave (not including public holidays)
- Company laptop if needed
- Working in a young friendly environment
- Send us your details and any questions. Give us an outline of who you are, what you do, what you enjoy, and any examples of your work or open-source projects you have/contribute to.
We look forward to hearing from you!
More like this
- Front-end developer (with a UI/UX focus) at Helical Levity
- Back-end Engineer at NearSt
- Full Stack Developer at Canvas
- Front-end developer at CreditMint
- Web Developer at Bureau for Visual Affairs
- Devops Engineer at SPYSCAPE
- Senior software engineer at Timewith
- Full Stack Systems Engineer Team Lead at Converge.io
- Senior frontend developer at Rebank
- Senior Software Engineer at Certain Six