What we’re looking for
At Hassle.com we want the build a visually stunning, clever and engaging brand. A huge part of this are the visual assets that support it. We’re looking for a top-notch Graphic Designer to join the Design Team to help us make that brand a reality
Hassle.com is one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups. In a nutshell, we take the hassle (see what we did there?) out of finding and booking a home cleaner.
So why home cleaning? Well, we want to help our customers remove hassle from their lives and spend their time on the things that really matter to them — playing with their kids, actually making it to the gym, or maybe reading that book that’s been sitting on their nightstand. For our customers we like to think of what we’re building as “quality time as a service”, and who doesn’t want more of that?
For the cleaners that use Hassle.com, we provide a safe and easy way to find new customers, to get paid regularly and the peace of mind that our Cleaner Success Team are only a phone call away. We help them get away from the exploitative agency model and out of the informal economy. They are amazing people, with incredible stories and we want to enable them to make the best living possible.
Like many startups, we’re going places, fast. We are alumni of the Springboard accelerator programme, backed by Accel Partners (one of the first investors in Facebook, Spotify, Etsy and Dropbox to name a few) and we recently joined forces with Helpling.de to become the world’s largest platform for booking a home cleaner.
“The culture at this company is like no other. I am surrounded by people working towards the same goals, who have the same drive and have the same excitement as myself — all of which makes a huge difference to my working day.” — Kate Dobson, Customer Service Manager
About the Design Team
The Design Team here at Hassle.com is a group of polymath designers who love solving real-world user problems. We have backgrounds in everything from hardware-hacking, to newspaper design, to front-end development. We always try to design solutions that are simple and elegant but still delightful to the user. We want to have the happiest users possible.
We work on everything from Hassle.com’s mobile apps and website to the billboards you may have seen all over London. We try to balance opportunities for varied work, with opportunities to get deeply immersed in a problem.
Transparency and data are important to our design process. That means lots of wireframes on the walls, lots of discussion and ongoing explorative and directive user research. We value polish and detail, but also the ability to ship something rough and then iterate on it.
Finally, as a team we’re pretty engaged with the design community. We attend events, host events, speak at conferences, and blog. We like people who are interested in where web design is going and why.
“I love the design challenges that come with working at Hassle.com. Apart from working on a consumer-facing digital product, that solves a real-world problem (isn’t that enough?), there’s a whole service-design challenge too.” — Gearóid O’Rourke, Design Director
About this role
You will be joining the team as a Graphic Designer. This means:
- Working closely with the Design Director on developement of the Hassle.com brand
- Producing digital artwork for advertising campaigns
- Producing print-ready artwork for OOO advertising campaigns
- Devising and producing collateral (aka “swag”) for the entire company
- Devising and producing illustrations and graphics for use in email communications
- Working with the Product Designers on gillustrations and graphics for use in the product
- Helping to make our new offices beautiful — think posters, wall decals, textile prints etc
We’re all about transferrable skills, but to really be awesome in this role we think you’ll need:
- A creative brain — you solve problems with design and love making beautiful things
- Excellent skills in your chosen design software — we use mainly Sketch and Photoshop, but we don’t mind so much what you use
- Experience producing print-ready graphics and working closely with printers
- The ability to produce high-quality artwork at speed
- Desire to create and develop visual brand guidelines with the Design Director
- The ability to communicate and explain your design decisions to non-designer team members
- A strong interest in testing and iterating on graphics, particularly those produced for online advertising
- The ability to write basic html and CSS would be a large bonus, but we’ll also be happy with people willing to learn
The kind of people we like to work with
Working at a startup is hard work, but hugely enjoyable. It’s made better by working with the right kind of people. People that do well here are:
- Driven, self-motivated and hard-working
- Empathetic and considerate of others
- Comfortable with a flat company structure
- Good team players, not solo-super-stars
- Articulate, opinionated but not dogmatic
- Able to change their minds in the face of new data
- Ok with getting things wrong, then immediately trying again
Perks & benefits
- First and foremost, you will get to work with some truly lovely people. Hassle.com is a big, weird and wonderful family.
- A focus on building an environment where you can do career defining work
- Competitive salary; we don’t low-ball
- Annual £1000 budget for conferences/workshops
- Whatever tech you need to do your thing
- Free food and beer at the office
- Regular team outings — we love to attend events!
- Book Club, Squash Club, Running Club, Curry Club, and a (pretty mediocre) 5-a-side football team
More like this
- Senior Software Backend Engineer at Midnite
- Senior Full Stack Developer at Arkk Solutions
- Director of Education at Nomad Academy
- Senior Front-End Developer at Browser London
- Senior Product Manager at Rotageek
- Senior PHP Developer at Agent Software Ltd
- Digital Campaign Manager at HubbleHQ
- Full Stack Engineer at Expensify
- Project Manager at Borne Digital
- Storyteller and Content Creator at Storytellrs