Policy in Practice is
an award-winning, socially focused and policy-led software and analytics
We are experiencing rapid ongoing demand for our services and we are hiring a Head of Analysis to lead our growing team.
The role offers the opportunity to work with household level datasets and the latest technology to develop new approaches to policy analysis, with the opportunity to transition to a Director of Research role over time. Your work will have an impact both at a national level and on the frontline.
About Policy in Practice
We believe the welfare system can work more effectively and help people towards greater independence.
Government policy is complicated, confusing and ever changing. This makes the welfare system difficult to understand, to communicate and to administer.
We simplify the welfare system for individuals and organisations. We help people understand how government policy affects them so that they can make decisions. Local authorities use our analytics to see how individual households are affected by the combination of national and local policy changes, now and in the future. Our tech engine models how the policies of four government departments affect thousands of families on low incomes. We use a scientific approach to data visualisation to drill down to individual households, track the effectiveness of support and help people to take control.
We have so far supported over 75 local authorities, housing associations and work and health organisations to improve the future for many people across the country. We are able to track the living standards of over one million households, 1 in 8 of everyone using the welfare system, via anonymised data sets. We were founded by one of the architects of Universal Credit and our analysis has been widely covered in national press and media.
Our mission is to reduce poverty which we do through our:
· Benefit and Budgeting Calculator, which provides personal budgeting support and helps people to grow their financial resilience without needing to be an expert in the welfare system
· Low Income Family Tracker Dashboard, which helps councils target resources more accurately, spend money more effectively and meet their statutory obligations
We strive to reach every household impacted by welfare reform to bring positive change to people’s lives, now and in the future. We can only do this through our continued growth and development, and by recruiting the best people, so that we have the biggest influence on the impact of policies, now and in the future.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced senior data analyst with both policy and research expertise, together with a passion for improving how public services are researched, analysed and delivered, to play a key role in shaping the future of the company. You will:
1. Build our research arm
For our clients and funders, you will utilize your excellent quantitative analysis skills on a daily basis to design and develop relevant and often new research methodologies to address their research objectives, exploring themes such as challenges within low income households and the functioning of the benefit system. Beyond that, you will:
· Build relationships and submit successful research proposals that utilise and expand our existing datasets, and develop access to linked/related datasets
· Have the drive, ambition and vision to develop Policy in Practice into a research institute or organization with a similar level of capability and standing
2. Broaden our client work
While continuing to develop and deliver existing analytical services to our clients through understanding the problem and helping clients to formulate the right questions, you will:
· Secure access to additional client datasets beyond Housing Benefit data
· Secure client-funded work to develop those datasets
· Support the organization to link datasets in a scalable way
3. Oversee and support project delivery
You will be supporting the Director, Head of Policy and Customer Service Manager by:
· Overseeing our team of policy analysts in each of their roles
· Meeting with clients (Local Councils, Central Government and private organisations) to secure projects / data, and overseeing delivery of those projects
· Using your policy and research expertise to advise our clients on the relevant implications of upcoming policy changes on their responsibilities as institutions, and developing our services further to deliver real value
The ideal candidate
This is a senior role requiring a strong academic background, at least 3-5 years’ relevant experience and a high level of proficiency in both verbal and written English.
· Likely to hold a postgraduate degree in Economic, Political or Social Sciences
· Independent self-starter with a drive and passion for solving social issues, a background in policy or politics and proven commercial awareness
· Knowledge and understanding of the workings of policy and an eagerness to understand the detail of welfare policy in particular, to enable practical change
· Professional at client-facing with client service credentials
· Ability to manage, inspire and develop team members
· Demonstrable ability to translate data into meaningful analysis and to convey this to a wider audience in clear concise English, with specific evidence of having:
o Successfully submitted research and grant proposals
o Built relationships with clients/funders
o Worked with complex data manipulation and analysis
o Completed quantitative, and ideally some qualitative, research
o Formally presented research results to project sponsors at conferences and / or published research findings
o Hosted or organised events to discuss research
o Worked directly with institutions which focus on social policy, either nationally in the UK and / or internationally
o Developed products and services that are used by decision-makers
How to apply
Please send your CV with a covering letter that clearly outlines your qualifications, suitability and interest in the post by Thursday, 12 July at 17:00.
Salary range £40,000 — 60,000
for the right candidate
More like this
- Senior Product Manager at Rotageek
- Technical UI Developer at Humanising Autonomy
- Agile React Developer w/ stock options in FinTech at Expend
- Employer Brand + Culture Partner at Create + Adapt
- Designer (UX) at Potato
- Design Lead at Potato
- Sales and Operations Intern Superstar at Work In Startups
- Senior Backend Developer (Node) at Farewill
- Growth Marketer at Plentific
- Product Manager at KidsKnowBest