ABOUT NEWSPAPER CLUB
Newspaper Club is here to help everyone design and print their own newspaper. In 6 years we have disrupted newspaper printing, making it easier for non-designers and small publishers to print a newspaper. We do this through offering a clear, transparent service, flexible order sizes, our own free newspaper layout software (called ARTHR) and a fast, friendly service. We have been consistently profitable and get great feedback from our customers.
We are looking for someone with 5+ years experience in technical teams - a friendly, enthusiastic self-starter with excellent tech and people skills who can lead our team and work across all levels to deliver results.
Now in our sixth year of trading, we have gone from fast-growing start-up to a more stable (but still growing!) business. We are looking for someone who can take stock of where we are and help us map out a path for the future, turning business and user needs into a clear plan of action.
This is a hands-on leadership role. You will manage a team of two developers, and report directly to the CEO. You will need to lead the development team to get things done, and know when to muck in and help the team to deliver.
You will need to work across a broad range of development (but you don’t have to do everything yourself!) and be able to solve complex problems in a pragmatic way, communicating clearly as you go.
This role is full-time (35 hours per week) based in our Glasgow HQ. Newspaper Club is an international team, so experience of remote working is an advantage. We use tools like Slack, Skype, and Basecamp to keep in touch.
- Work closely with colleagues and directors to define and deliver a technical roadmap
- Plan, prioritise and deliver valuable, high quality work using agile tools and techniques
- Understand our customer needs and focus on solutions to streamline and improve our service
- Review existing systems and balance refactoring and maintenance with developing new features
- Take an active role in developing code and making improvements
- Mentor and train other developers
- Develop and uphold high coding standards and best practices
- Experience working in, growing and leading an agile team
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Solid understanding of test-driven development and good software design principles
- Broad commercial experience in software engineering, including back-end, front-end and devops technologies
- Experience working with scalable Ruby applications, preferably with Rails
- Able to work in our Glasgow office at least one day a week.
In return, we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday + public holidays
- Flexible hours and a commitment to a 35-hour week
- Relaxed working environment
- Support for training and development
- City centre location
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Full stack developer at Happiness Works
- Senior Full-stack Developer at Zen Educate
- Python Developer (#techforgood open data standard) at Development Initiatives
- Digital Project Manager at The Mix
- Backend Developer (Java) at Sympower
- Frontend Software Engineer at Sympower
- Sales Account Executive at Kayako
- Front-end web developer at Operon
- Superstar CTO at Uberated
- Product Designer at Geckoboard