Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a social impact scale-up with headquarters in Brussels and offices in New York, Amsterdam, Paris, and London, aims to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by over 270 cities and municipalities in 15+ countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their residents. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab has enabled 500,000+ community members to weigh in on the local topics they care about, and got recently recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'.
Head of Marketing & Communications at CitizenLab
Your main objective will be to grow CitizenLab’s international presence and build an exceptionally strong social brand, known globally in the public sector. In this key position, you will lead the four-member marketing team and be in charge of the overarching marketing strategy to generate new growth and impact.
As our Head of Marketing & Communications, your main responsibilities will include the following:
1) You will lead the marketing team and set the direction.
- Oversee our marketing strategy. You will be integrating content, growth, community, and brand strategies into a cohesive direction, and be in charge of actual results.
- Lead and empower the team. You will help your co-workers excel and grow in their roles through participatory and serving leadership.
- Report on marketing performance and contribute to the company strategy. You will work closely together with the CEO directly, and liaise with Business Development, Product, and GovSuccess teams.
2) You will build an outstanding global brand, known for its impact.
- Develop strong thought leadership within participatory democracy. You will represent CitizenLab externally, talk regularly to press and at events, and develop a strong vision of where civic tech is going.
- Fine-tune our positioning. You will work with designers and the future brand manager to improve our story, tone of voice, and visual identity.
- Contribute to our social impact by helping governments mobilize their communities at scale and grow our own open-source community. You will demonstrate the impact we’re creating at CitizenLab and share it with the world through press, content, and other creative formats.
3) You will design new growth strategies and ramp up international demand.
- Co-design our go-to-market strategies and oversee new lead generation campaigns. Together with the Digital Marketing Manager and Business Developers, you will keep track of our growth KPIs and prioritize actions.
- Develop partnerships in each market to increase our visibility. You will establish relationships with key associations and partners, and support the Head of Partnerships’ work in growing our channel sales.
- Drive new international growth. Most importantly, you will bring fresh ideas along for new ways to grow. That’s what we’re most excited about.
What do we expect from you?
We are looking for an empathetic leader who is uniquely positioned combining a hands-on, tech-savvy attitude with excellent strategic-thinking skills, adapted for the public sector.
- You have 4+ years of hands-on experience working in marketing or growth, including relevant leadership experience.
- You have demonstrable experience working in/with the public sector, can strongly relate to our digital democracy mission, and can show a solid understanding of citizen participation and public governance.
- You are very fluent in English, both in writing and verbally. Ideally, you also speak fluently French and/or Dutch. Proficiency in German or Spanish is a plus, too.
- You have a hands-on attitude, love running experiments and re-iterate upon data insights, and come with creative ideas for new growth.
- You are tech-savvy and analytical, keen on automating wherever possible, and familiar with technical/digital marketing channels (incl. SEO and SEA).
- You are a strategic thinker and can successfully connect the dots. You excel at designing go-to-market strategies, approaching this in a structured way, and involving multiple stakeholders.
- You are hungry to learn and teach, embodied through an empathetic and collaborative leadership style.
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. If not all the desired requirements are met but you're really excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have a social impact at scale. Day-to-day we work with local government leaders across the world to help them connect with their communities.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from a startup to a scaleup (50 employees), and our expansion from Europe to the United States.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We organize many team activities and afterworks (when possible). We are as serious about our work in digital democracy as we are about having fun on our journey together.
- Enjoy an informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in leadership meetings, inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, and yearly off-site team retreats.
- Spend 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re committed to both collective and individual growth.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, a professional development budget, well-being budget, collective bonus plan, your own laptop, full flexibility on working from home, and much more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Salary range £55,000 — 75,000
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior Software Engineer at Hurree
- Solutions Architect at Hurree
- Technical Researcher at Hurree
- API Intergrations Specialist at Hurree
- Senior Backend Developer (Node.js) at Caravelo
- Full Stack Developer at Landscape
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Android Developer at AppLaunch
- Senior full stack developer at PetsApp
- Lead Architect at CitizenLab