Job Title Maternity Cover – Head of Operations (HOO)
Reporting to CEO and MD, Debate Mate Limited
Responsible for All staff working within Debate Mate Limited
Location Borough/London Bridge
Salary Competitive; commensurate with experience
· To ensure the overall effective running of the Debate Mate Limited company
· To lead the DML team to ensuring sales targets are met
· To provide senior support to the CEO and MD
· To represent, develop and promote the Debate Mate Limited brand
We are looking for an experienced Head of Operations to work with the Core Team to oversee the running of the offline business of Debate Mate Limited (DML) in a full time capacity and a fixed term contract of 9 months. This will initially be a maternity cover, with a view to extending the contract to be a permanent position should the initial period be successful.
DML is part of the social business Debate Mate. Over the past ten years, Debate Mate has taught the key 21st Century skills [communication (speaking and listening), critical and creative thinking, teamwork and core confidence] to over 60,000 school students and business people. Growing from 300 students in our first year, we now reach 5,000 students each week. We have additionally trained teachers from over 127 countries and worked with some of the world's leading businesses and professional services firms in their core internal training and development programmes. DML is launching an online business in January 2018 – a new venture managed by a separate team.
Debate Mate consists of two entities – a registered charity called Debate Mate Schools (DMS), and a limited company called DML. DMS runs the Debate Mate programmes in schools in the UK on a not for profit basis, and DML runs the Debate Mate programmes for companies and international education institutions on a revenue generating basis. The profits generated from DML are reinvested back into DMS.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD), the Head of Operations is a key member of the senior management team, responsible for the efficiency and profitable development of the business.
We are a young, vibrant, dynamic and fast growing business, with a successful track record of delivering high quality and innovative in person training. We are looking for a Head of Operations with leadership experience, who has excellent people skills, business acumen, experience of working within a service industry, and, most importantly, a desire to change the world. Debate Mate has a serious social mission - to transform the way young people are educated to ensure that 21st century skills development is at the heart of all learning.
The goal of the Head of Operations is to manage the operations of the growing business at a crucial stage of development. To date, this role has been job shared by the co-MD’s. However, with the growth of the online business and the maternity cover requirement, we have decided to establish a full time operations role. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a short term, immersive role with the potential for it to be permanent should the post be successful.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
· Line managing the DML team.
· Chairing weekly team meetings
· Managing the sales pipeline - ensuring the team are maximising opportunities, following up on leads and up-selling where appropriate
· Overseeing the team end to end protocol
· Managing business development of the team with new leads, and overseeing the commissions policy.
· Managing the finances – regulating cash flow, chasing invoices, assisting MD with monthly reporting etc.
· Reporting to CEO and MD's on a regular basis (daily/weekly)
· Managing the relationship between the offline and the online programmes working closely with DM Online project manager
· Coordinating with DMS Educational Development Director to ensure consistency of operations
· Market the offline.
· Where necessary, attend pitch meetings with the team.
· Where necessary, deal with clients on the phone.
Key Requirements for the Role:
· Desire to change the world essential
· Senior management experience working as part of a team
· Sector experience in education/corporate training would be a plus
· Previous experience of working with a start-up is a plus
· Experience of business functions such as HR, Finance, marketing etc.
· Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
· Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
· Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure
More like this
- Operations Manager at BlockDox
- Account Manager at PlanSnap Ltd
- Sales and Marketing Regional Manager at ProPrep
- Account Executive at Zen Educate
- Sales Manager at Zen Educate
- Technical Delivery Manager at Development Initiatives
- Onboarding Analyst at Capdesk
- Business Development Manager at Obby
- Growth hacking / Digital marketing intern at Rock Mission ltd
- Head of Marketing at Makers Academy