The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments; we're now processing over 200k payments every month. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent.
Our team has doubled in size in the past six months and we are looking to scale team processes to enable even faster growth. That's where you come in...
In this role, you will be part of Wave's People Operations team and responsible for carrying out HR and administrative tasks needed to support the team.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Paying employees on a monthly basis;
- Coordinating benefits for team members and answering questions about them;
- Booking travel for team members and candidates who are interviewing at Wave;
- Preparing visa applications for team members;
- Planning quarterly retreat logistics and other team activities;
- Setting up payroll in various countries as we expand;
- Ensuring that we comply with local employment law in the countries in which we employ team members;
- Onboarding new hires. You will ensure new team members have the equipment they need and introduce them to our tools and policies;
- Working with our Finance team to process reimbursements and pay invoices; and
- Responding to software related queries from team members.
- Location: We are a remote company and you can be based anywhere between UTC -5 and +4 in Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, the UK or US.
- Compensation: £41,000-£48,000 GBP (or local equivalent) per year depending on experience, plus equity.
- Travel requirement: You will be expected to spend one week in Africa for company retreats every two months.
- This is a permanent position.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- Wave will cover all costs associated with travel to and from Senegal
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Native or fluent English.
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you'd like to be based).
- 3+ years of HR experience.
- You speak French.
- Are very organized and detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
- Tolerance - dare we say enthusiasm! - for repetitive tasks.
- Are driven to face tasks head on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
- Are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks.
- Are tech-savvy [familiar with MS Office, Slack, Google Suite] and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues.
- Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently.
- We're a distributed HQ team of ~28 people who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most. Our team works remotely across North America, Europe and Africa.
- Every two months our HQ team goes on a five-day retreat together in Africa.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
Salary range £41,000 — 48,000
Dependent on experience
More like this
- Full stack developer at Dark Blue
- QA Engineer at ContentCal
- Product Designer at Verisart
- UI/UX Lead at Microtest Ltd
- Product Manager at Microtest Ltd
- Head of Design, Marketing at Dataswift Ltd
- Lead Full Stack Developer at GetAgent
- Backend Engineer (Elixr/Ruby) at Good Club
- Senior Backend Engineer at PUBLIC Group International
- Lead Developer at Appt-Health