Cervest is an ambitious start-up with a mission to do good – we are trying to fix some of the problems that the Earth and humankind face with regard to sustainability, risk and waste in the food and agriculture. It’s a big challenge, and it’s why we’ve built a research team with a strong track record in climate science, statistics, machine learning and AI.
The scope of our search is ever growing, the size of the data is in terabytes and the computational resources that we work with are in peta-flops – not a standard research setting! As a result we are looking for a software engineer to join our research team.
This position will primarily focus on designing and building tools to automate and scale our research. As such, no statistical science skills are required, though there will be opportunities to get involved more directly in statistical and machine learning modelling if you are interested in growing your skills in this area. Otherwise, if you want to learn more about climate models, there is an opportunity for that, too.
Research software engineers at Cervest work on a diverse and stimulating range of projects including: developing algorithms and prototype applications, providing software design and programming support to research projects, along with architecting and implementing software libraries and data solutions. At the start, the primary focus would be on providing support in remote sensing related projects, that being data ingestion, and infrastructure for model testing at scale.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a big impact on our company and our users. We are a team of impatient optimists who want to make a lasting, positive and sustainable impact across the planet. We believe the benefits of AI should be accessible, affordable and used to empower those managing nature’s resources – growers, buyers and policymakers – to adapt to rising climate volatility. Do you believe using technology, science and data to help create a more sustainable future is a huge opportunity for innovation? If so, join the Cervest team and help make an impact at scale.
We believe that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner and we’re actively seeking applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing software design and programming support to research projects and data ingestion
- Reporting and presenting software developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing
- Architecting and implementing software libraries
- Implementing systems for machine learning algorithms testing and continuous deployment
Great if you:
- Have a BSc/BEng degree in a quantitative field (MSc/MEng preferable), or equivalent experience
- Have solid knowledge and experience of python
- Have experience with multi-threaded design and parallel/distributed computing
- Are passionate about writing readable and maintainable code
- Are ready to embrace unit tests, version control, code reviews, …
Even better if you have:
- A working knowledge of C/C++
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualisation
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Interest in solving climate-related problems
- Some knowledge of machine learning and/or statistics
- Experience with GIS and handling geographical data
- Experience with batch image processing in software
Salary range £40,000 — 50,000
Dependent on experience
More like this
- Lead Engineer at Tab.
- Full Stack Developer at Ayima
- Junior R&D Tax Consultant - Technology at The Accountancy Cloud
- Senior Product Designer at Bark.com
- Senior Product Designer at ZOE
- Sales Executive at Maison Sport
- Front-end developer at Everpress
- Join our Commercial Team at Theodo UK
- Full-Stack Developer at Flair Football
- Senior product designer at Zencargo