Lead Designer at Farewill
We’re looking for a user-focused Product Designer to help us tackle a profound human challenge - redefining the way the world deals with death.
In a stubbornly Victorian industry, our success to date has been down to our radically different approach to the problem and championing design’s role in the solution.
Working collaboratively in our cross-functional product team of 8, you’ll lead the vision and execution of how people experience our products.
Who We Are
We are a small, nimble team on a mission to change the way the world deals with death. Our Product team is currently 4 Developers, 1 Product Manager, 2 Customer Insights and 1 Lawyer and we're looking for a Product Designer to complete the team. We've been featured on Product Hunt, we've been praised by GDS, we've had hundreds of stunning customer reviews and we've helped to raise more than £45 million for charities.
Who You Are
You’ll be a natural simplifier and communicator - someone who can distil complex legal requirements into simple, understandable designs.
You’ll be comfortable working at different levels of fidelity, from sketches, through to prototyping and final designs, and at different levels in the design process - from 10,000 feet views of our journey, to interaction design on the site.
Above all, you’ll want to play a major role in shaping the future of the death industry and building wonderful, best-in-class products that solve real problems for millions of people.
What you’ll do
Things change very quickly in startups, so we like to think of it in terms of what you’ll do in the next 12 months.
In the next 12 months:
- You’ll lead the design of our user experience across mobile and web
- You’ll work collaboratively within the product team to research, define and solve challenges on our existing wills product
- You’ll lead the design of our next groundbreaking product from scratch
- You’ll play a key role in hiring and leading our growing Product team
- You’ll be up for getting involved outside of your role at times (e.g. Customer Service if we’re dealing with huge traffic, helping our growth and partnership teams design materials, organising team events if you fancy)
- You’ll do this by being a phenomenal communicator, always putting our customers first, and loving to work collaboratively in a tight-knit team.
You Should Have
- 2+ years experience in product design
- Experience with ‘end-to-end’ Product Design (from initial wireframes through to prototyping and visual design)
- Experience in an iterative and collaborative software development environment
- Great at communicating design decisions, as well as giving and taking feedback
- Experience of involving user research in your process
We Hope You’ll Have
- Experience working in a small startup
- Experience hiring and leading other designers
- Understanding of inclusive design and accessibility
- Experimented with basic HTML/CSS and prototyping tools
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you.
Carry on below to find out more about applying, or read more about who we are, what we do, and the perks of joining our team.
Our hiring process - diversity monitoring questions
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and monitoring how our company is representing different groups of people through our hiring process.
We will ask you some demographic questions as part of the application process. Every question has a ‘Prefer not to say’ option.
These questions are not used for hiring of the role itself. This data will be used to help us determine whether our hiring process is fair and comfortable for everyone, and the data will be used to review and improve our process.
All your demographic data will be anonymised and never personally attributable to you.
Inviting someone to join our team is a big deal for us and we put a lot of time and effort into the process.
If we figure out we’re not perfect for each other at any stage we’ll let you know as soon as possible. Here’s how it’ll look for the person joining us
1. Send us your CV along with maximum 150 words on why this role is perfect for you.
2. We’ll invite you for a 20 minute video call to learn more about your goals and experience. You’ll also be able to ask questions about Farewill and the role.
3. We’ll then give you an exercise that’s relevant to the role, and run a more detailed interview in person to hear more about you and your experience.
If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.
Closing date: Friday August 24th
More like this
- Senior Engineer at Comic Relief
- Front-end Designer at Helical Levity
- React Developer at Rotageek
- CTO / Lead Software Engineer at HyBird
- iOS Developer at unrd
- Senior PHP Software Engineer at Paddle
- Sales Manager / Business Development Manager at We Make Websites
- Project Portfolio Lead at Tech Nation
- Software Engineer at OAKAM Ltd.
- Software Engineer at OAKAM Ltd.