MOO set out to shake up the world of print back in 2006. And we’ve come a long way since. Today we’re a 300 + strong team (we’re thinking of getting matching jackets) who create print and digital products for companies of all sizes – from Google and AirBnB to the guy who makes those amazing prints you found at a craft fair.
Our global HQ is in London, UK, while we also have premises in Dagenham. In the US, you’ll find us in Boston, MA, as well as Lincoln, RI and Denver, CO.
We’re making new and exciting things – and we could really do with your help.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to play a significant role in building new greenfield applications while bringing modern technologies and tooling to our teams (check out our stack at https://stackshare.io/moo/moo-future). This truly is an exciting time to join MOO and as the most senior IC within the Technology department, you will play a big role in our future vision for our customers.
We care about building better, empowering our engineers to lead architectural decisions and technology choices when solving business problems. Our platform is an event-based system made up of serverless microservices. We encourage a DevOps mindset where engineers don’t just have control over the code they write, but also infrastructure it runs on and the CI/CD pipelines that gets it there. Java and Typescript are our languages of choice, GraphQL, React and all the goodness of MACH architecture really powers our teams to explore new solutions that speed our deliverables and benefit our customers. Terraform plays a significant role in our IaC approach and we are proactively encouraging PaaS exploration that allows us to focus our engineering efforts in the right area for MOO.
We are obsessed with observability and performance which are key to this approach. Leveraging tools like Datadog to observe our platform allows us to constantly explore new ways of improving its performance in order to delight our customers.
Collaboration is at the heart of our engineering teams, working on solutions in a safe environment where it’s ok to take risks. We use pair programming, test-driven development and peer reviews. We encourage knowledge sharing, learning and mentoring. We welcome new ideas and points-of-view, and we are agile to the core, using both Scrum and Kanban.
You will help us design and implement tightly focussed APIs, services, user interfaces and together with your team, you will support them in production. We want you to share your opinions on how we are doing things - and help us get better!
If the above sounds like you, and you’re excited at the prospect of applying new technologies to have a real impact, then we would love to hear from you.
As a Principal Engineer at MOO you will:
- Be the most senior IC within the technology department and therefore expected to manage your time between development, strategic planning, communication and cross-functional collaboration with senior leadership at MOO.
- Articulate short, medium and long term technical strategies via system designs, ADRs, Wardley maps or other artifacts you feel would be suitable for the audience.
- Build, test, deploy and own your code as part of a multi-disciplinary, cross functional team, while championing and evolving IaC and PaaS methodologies.
- Collaborate with other multi-disciplinary technology teams to support their efforts, ensuring we are all working towards same strategic technical goals.
- Lead debate and evolution of engineering best practices and MOO engineering principles to ensure high standards are understood, adopted, maintained and measured.
- Contribute to your team via pair programming, code reviews, knowledge sharing and demonstrations.
- Leverage best practices in unit, integration and functional testing, continuous integration and delivery
- Collaborate with other engineers, across teams, on a variety of projects
- You are a seasoned technologist with prior experience leading technical conversations on architecture, system design and application deliverables.
- You have a desire to leverage and build upon cloud-native approaches, container orchestration, serverless technologies as well as event-driven design and integration with external systems.
- You have proven experience designing for security, practices and tools.
- You drive change by inspiring others and are motivated by the impact you bring when influencing engineering teams to foster a continuous improvement mindset.
- You have the ability to self-manage your time effectively between writing code, supporting engineers, coaching teams to better outcomes as well as strong stakeholder communication and influence.
- You build relationships and are able to understand when to coach engineers and when to lean in and lead by example.
- You have extensive experience as a Senior Software Engineer, with a variety of modern backend technologies, frameworks and tools under your belt.
- You have strong domain knowledge in eCommerce and fulfilment including system and enterprise architecture.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication and tailor your style to the audience.
- You have proven ability to influence and deliver business value with minimal resources and direction.
What’s it like to work at MOO?
MOO’s the kind of workplace where you can really be yourself. Dye your hair purple. Hit the sofa with your laptop. Whatever helps you feel comfortable and happy at work. We want to help you grow in your career and set you up for success – while also recognising the importance of a healthy work/life balance.
That’s why we offer 25 days holiday rising by one day for each year here (for 5 years), a matched pension scheme, MOO’s share option scheme, and paid parental leave. We’ll offer you private healthcare, life insurance, a season ticket loan, subsidised gym membership and a cycle to work scheme. Finally, we’ll treat you to breakfast and fresh fruit every day, lunch on Fridays and all the ice cream you can eat (just watch for the brain freeze).
We are working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. And that creates a better experience for our customers. MOO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Front End Web Developer at Rasa
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Coding Coach at Sigma Labs
- Front-end developer at Taylor/Thomas
- Shopify / CMS Senior Front-End Developer at Series Eight
- Senior Product Designer (Product Team Lead) at Helical Levity Ltd.
- Head of Marketing at Renude
- Full stack developer at Una Health
- Ios Swift Developer at Reeltime Apps