Are you passionate about using your skills to write code and build systems to transform the impact of billions of dollars of aid and development resources?
Would you like to join a growing team of analysts and developers who are dedicated to increasing the quality and quantity of open development data available to governments, parliamentarians, civil society and others?
IATI (the International Aid Transparency Initiative) needs you!
We are looking to recruit a talented Python Developer to work exclusively for the International Aid Transparency Initiative.
Start date: February 2017 (or sooner, depending on availability)
Salary: £25,000-£35,000 gross per annum, depending on experience
Location: Bristol, UK
Contract: Fixed term to 31 August 2018
If you would like to make a positive impact increasing the reach of a dynamic organisation committed to ending poverty, we would love to hear from you. Feel free to get in contact ([email protected]) if you have any questions or would like further information or an informal discussion about the role.
- Good knowledge of Python
- Understanding of XML
- Web application development
- An understanding of design and UX
- Experience of version control systems – we use Git and Github
- Working collaboratively on software projects
- Able to understand business problems and design solutions to solve them
Bonus – understanding and/or experience of any of these would also be an advantage:
- Experience with open data projects and/or standards
- Use of SQL, plus experience/understanding of ORMs – e.g. SQLAlchemy, Peewee
- Working with public web APIs and/or creation of RESTful APIs
- Experience and/or understanding of unit testing – we use pytest
- Python deployment tools – SaltStack, Chef or Puppet
- Contribution of code to open source communities
- Ability to administer/configure Linux/Apache
- Experience with large datasets
- Experience working in an ‘agile’ work environment
- Communicating with software users about bugs, upgrades, changes to code, etc.
- Understanding of software development cycles and models
- Experience of, or demonstrable interest in International Development
What we offer
- Fixed term contract to 31 August 2018
- Great work-life balance:
• 35 hours per week
• 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
• Flexible hours system
• Work from home policy
- Company pension scheme (after 3 months service) with 5% employer contribution
- Opportunities for occasional international travel to attend IATI meetups and conferences
- Personal development budget to buy books/training
- Choice of high-spec PC/Mac/Linux laptop
Even more benefits...
- Office based 5 minutes from Temple Meads train station and 10 minutes from Bristol city centre
- Work in a nice, light, youthful office surrounded by people passionate about the use of data to make a positive difference to the world
- Casual office dress code
- Up to 5 paid days each year to volunteer with any UK-based charity (of your choice) that works to address poverty.
- Free fresh fruit, delivered to the office twice a week
About the Company
This job is based at the Bristol office of Development Initiatives – a UK-based international development organisation who are a key member of the IATI Secretariat, maintaining the IATI data standard and delivering tools to use the data. IATI also supports DI’s wider role to enable people to access and use information about aid and other poverty reduction resources.
We believe that supporting efforts to hold governments, donors and service providers to account, and improving the availability of information to support intelligent planning, will increase the effectiveness of aid, and so accelerate poverty reduction.
Applications will be assessed as they are received, with interviews arranged on a rolling
basis. Therefore, you are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible.
The last date we will be accepting applications for this role is 6 pm on Monday 30 January
Please don't call! We don’t engage with cold-calling or emailing recruitment agencies :-)
Salary range £25,000 — 35,000
Depending on experience
More like this
- Senior Full Stack Developer at Development Initiatives
- Devops Engineer at SPYSCAPE
- Inside Sales - Account Manager at GatherContent
- Software Engineer at Ding Products
- Full Stack Web Developer at Beauhurst
- Senior Mobile Developer. at expodo
- Full Stack Developer at Canvas
- Senior Software Developer at Uquant
- Software Engineer at Reincubate
- Front-end developer (with a UI/UX focus) at Helical Levity