We’re a small and nimble team but we already serve electricity companies and their customers across the world with pilots ongoing in Europe and North America.Since we were incorporated 18 months ago, we’ve grown from 0 to 4000+ users, raised a funding round, collaborated with 15+ energy companies and saved over 5 tonnes of CO2. We were part of Microsoft’s first AI for Good cohort, recently won the EDF Pulse Innovation Challenge and were named the “Best Energy Startup in the World” by Free Electrons! Tech at ev.energy
Our platform is mostly Django backed by a Postgres database. We use some common Python & Django libraries such as Numpy and Django Rest Framework as well as Django’s built in testing framework and Selenium.
All our native apps are built using React Native using common React Native libraries such as Redux and Sagas for state management. All of our infrastructure is hosted in AWS and deployments are managed with Ansible and CloudFormation. Our CI / CD pipeline is built on
Bitbucket Pipelines and Bitrise for app building and shipping.
About the role
We’re looking for you to join our team as a Senior Python developer working on the core platform we run all of our services from. This core platform provides all the data and functionality for our driver apps as well as the dashboards and admin panels we provide to energy companies, car companies and charge point manufacturers. You’ll be joining a group of 16 passionate engineers, designers and strategists mostly based in London at Sustainable Workspaces on Lavington St, Bankside.
As a Senior Python Engineer you will be expect to set the technical direction for development of the core platform. You will be responsible for taking new features and bug fixes from specification all the way through to deployment in AWS. As part of an agile product team, you’d be mucking in to the ideation, specification and prioritisation of the startup product development. You will also be working alongside more junior members of the team and are expected to help them develop their technical skill through mentorship and helpful feedback during both design, implementation and review stages.
Our goals for the next year are:
- Internationalisation and localisation of our app for different currencies
- Enabling support for multiple EVs & chargers per user account
- Adding ‘charging on the go’ so our customers never run out of power
- Have at least 4 years experience building web apps & apis (ideally Django, but flask or other python frameworks are fine!)
- Have a willingness to make mistakes, break things, learn, and fix them
- Care about energy and be passionate about electric vehicles and renewable energy
- Understand the impact of back-end services on user experience
- Be able to work with Junior Developers and provide the constructive feedback to help them grow.
An awesome applicant will have…
- Lots of experience with Python writing well tested web services
- A deep understanding of testing methodologies, the benefits and shortcomings of them
- Experience crafting web APIs with technologies
- An understanding of the retail energy and energy wholesale markets in the UK
We will support you with…
- Flexible working from our Bankside office, at home, or wherever makes you happy
- Funded access to conferences, training and meetups (tech but also EV related)
- A shiny new MacBook Pro
- Participation in various employee perks and benefits schemes like cycle to work and discounted cinema tickets.
If you don’t have all of the job requirements, please apply anyway! We would love to hear from all kinds of people and may be able to tailor the role around your abilities and experience. We value applicants from non traditional backgrounds and a computer science degree is not a prerequisite.
Ts & Cs
Location: UK Based, spending at least a day or two a week in London
Term: Permanent role
Salary: £50k – £75k PA pro rated
Annual Leave: 25 Days PA + Bank Holidays
Equity: Options available
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Salary range £50,000 — 75,000
Plus equity, dependent on experience