We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist who is passionate about making a positive difference in the world.
- Full-time, in-house
1 The Problem
Type 2 diabetes and obesity are huge problems, both for the millions of people that suffer from lifestyle diseases, as well as healthcare systems like the NHS.
In the UK we spend almost 10% of the NHS budget on treating type 2 diabetes alone (£9 billion/year). What’s shocking is almost all of this is avoidable, 80-90% in fact.
How? Through sustained lifestyle and weight loss. It sounds so simple, but in reality is much harder to achieve at scale.
OurPath provide a digital lifestyle improvement programme that is proven to help people improve their lifestyle and lose weight, which ultimately reduces their risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
The programme incorporates evidence-based education, health coaches, peer group support, and digital tracking tools. Everything is delivered digitally through phone and web apps.
The quickest way to understand what we do is watch this very short 1 min animation: https://vimeo.com/199648301
We were the first digital behavioural change programme to be commissioned by the NHS – we’re now expanding rapidly having won a few big national contracts (both in diabetes prevention and management).
Alongside our NHS work, we also offer the programme directly to consumers – you can buy the programme on our website if you’re looking to make a healthy lifestyle change and lose weight. Our direct-to-consumer channel is essentially a competitor to the likes of Weight Watchers and Slimming World.
About us: We are now a team of 50 – consisting of ex-strategy consultants, dietitians, designers, and developers. We believe OurPath is a fun place to work with an informal, non-bureaucratic, and agile working environment. Finally, we will provide endless amounts of poor jokes and sub-standard humour. Just so you know.
Some of our national press:
3 The role
We are looking for a senior data scientist, not only to help us build and grow our product but also our data team.
What you’ll do:
- Help junior analysts deliver insightful analysis to discover areas of opportunity that shape the product roadmap.
- Lead the development of new data-driven product features.
- Work with product to design and analyse product tests.
- Work with engineering to ensure that good ETL processes are in place to deliver clean and accurate data to team members.
- Collaborate with members of all teams to ensure that data is easily accessible to answer business decisions and drive the decision-making process.
4 Person Specification
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages
- Coding knowledge and experience with several languages (Python/R required)
- Experience in Machine Learning applications
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Strong knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Experience managing a team of data analysts/scientists.
5 What can we offer you?
- You’ll be able to provide direct input into how we should improve our product and the development of OurPath.
- You’ll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic.
- You’ll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction; we also offer a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to.
- We have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) that’ll allow you to catch up and make friends outside of your team.
- We all have a thirst for knowledge and have regular Lunch&Learn sessions to help us expand our knowledge base; the product team also get together and run quarterly Hackathons.
6 To Apply
This position is available to start immediately, so please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
We’ll be interviewing on a rolling basis, so the quicker you can apply the better.
If Dan doesn’t respond within 7 days then she’s not intentionally being rude but please assume it’s probably a no for now.
In the meantime, find out more about working with us.
More like this
- Senior Product Manager at People Matter .
- Ruby on Rails developer at LearnerShape
- Sales Account Manager at Canvas Events
- Front End Engineer at Legl
- User Experience Designer at Waggel
- Operations Associate at The Wine List
- Senior Product Manager at Onfido
- Sale Executive / Junior BDM at Zipcube
- Customer Success Manager at Zipcube
- Lead Product Engineer at Onloan