Hello, we're PetsApp 👋🐱🐶
We’re the team building the platform that allows veterinary clinics and pet owners to communicate quickly and easily.
Pet owners use PetsApp to chat with the vet team that they know and trust. They can get advice on any issues their furry friends are having, as well as make appointments, pay outstanding bills and order medication.
Since we launched in January 2020 we’ve seen some pretty cool numbers:
- £2.75 million in payments from owners to their clinics
- 300k chats
- 8.5k iOS App Store reviews
- 4.9/5 iOS Rating
- Top 10 rated Medical iOS app
To date, we’ve raised over $4m investment too, and our investors are some of the best in Europe. They’ve taken early positions in companies like Contentful, Auth0, Away, Slack, Typeform, Calm and many other well-known, fantastic teams – so we're in good company.
Why you should join us 🤩
You'll be among the first engineers to join our product team. This means everything you do will be high impact and will improve the lives of thousands of pets and owners across the globe. We’re extremely ambitious with what we're building too, and you'll have the opportunity to get involved with everything tech related.
Our users are super engaged, so as soon as we ship anything it's used by loads of people. Here’s a quick taste of the sort of things we've shipped recently:
- Launching a responsive web app to mirror our native app functionality including in-chat payments and video calling
- Free text search a clinic’s pet and owner database that gives results, instantly scaling to hold hundreds of thousands and millions of pets shortly
- Nudging pet owners by email when they have unread messages after a period of time
What you’ll be working on 🪄
- Spearheading the development of our user facing product
- Helping turn product ideas into real life features
- Owning projects from conception to completion and iteration
- Designing and building full stack slices of functionality linking up React frontends with our Serverless API
- Improving the way we ship code to production (CI/CD)
- Bringing less experienced developers along for the ride and help them grow
- Helping the team continuously improve processes and ways of working
This role is great for you if you have... 🔍
- Strong experience with Typescript or another statically typed language
- Strong experience building frontend apps with React (React native experience is a bonus but not required)
- Experience and views on how to design and build APIs (serverless experience is a bonus but not required)
- Experience working with databases in production (we use DynamoDB and Postgres and Elasticsearch at the moment)
- Contributed to or owned a component library (our library, Chameleon 🦎 uses styled-components)
- Owned code running in production and you have views about the tools you need to make sure it's running as intended
- Worked with databases of different kinds
- A very user centric way of approaching problems
- Experience or the desire to work at a fast pace, where you can make change happen in days, not months
- Prior experience in other startups (not needed, but it’s a bonus)
The package 😻
- 🌴 33 day paid holiday a year (including public holidays)
- Plus the ability to buy or sell up to 5 days per year
- Remote friendly team
- You just need to have at least a 4 hour workday overlap with London, UK
- 💸 £75-100k salary
- This is the value for this role, so even if it’s not what you’re on now, it’s what we’re offering!
- 📜 Equity in PetsApp
- 📈 Learning budget
- 👩💻 Pick your own tech
- 🥳 Remote first team activities
What the interview process looks like 👋
This might vary a little, but here’s an overall idea of what you can expect.
- First, there's a one hour call with Will, our CTO
- Then, there’s a short take home tech test (if this isn’t possible for you to do for whatever reason, we can work around it)
- Finally, there's one hour chat about the technical side of things, then an hour talking through our culture with Thom, our CEO.
Life as part of the pack 🎉
You’ll have noticed we don’t talk about things like your birthday off, or a working-from-home allowance. Really, you’re the best person to tell us how you do your best work, and we want you to be responsible for how you spend your days off and your own money. This is why we have a generous holiday allowance and above market rate salaries.
When we talk about flexibility, we mean it too. That’s why you’ll see our Slack statuses changing to 🚴 or 🚶 when we’re out cycling in Regents Park or hiking in the Peak District. Sometimes you might even see a 💤 too. Other times you might not see it, but we'll be out picking up our kids from nursery or school, taking the dog for a walk or just sitting down for lunch with the family.
That doesn't mean we don't come together as a team though. Expect the occasional yoga session, cocktail making event, or movie night. These are just some of the things that our pack likes to do together. If we're not doing something that makes everyone’s experience as good as it could be, we want to hear what else we could be doing!
At PetsApp, we're building a team of people passionate about pets. People of any gender, race, religion, sexual-orientation or ethnicity are welcome. We’re already doing amazing work together to deliver on our mission of improving the lives of the world's pets. Because we're still pretty small, your voice will have a direct impact on the way we live our values and grow as a company.
For more about what it’s like being part of the pack, check out this blog about PetsApp culture, written by Will and Thom.
Salary range £75,000 — 100,000
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior Software Engineer at Hurree
- Solutions Architect at Hurree
- Technical Researcher at Hurree
- API Intergrations Specialist at Hurree
- Senior Backend Developer (Node.js) at Caravelo
- Full Stack Developer at Landscape
- Project Manager Marketing - Growth Hacking at 7pace
- Android Developer at AppLaunch
- Backend engineer at Everpress
- Head of Marketing & Communications at CitizenLab