Policy in Practice is an award-winning socially focused software and analytics company. You can find out more about what we do on our website, policyinpractice.co.uk.
We are experiencing rapid ongoing demand for our services and we are hiring a Senior JS Full Stack Developer to work alongside our growing team. The role offers the opportunity to have a high degree of influence over our product development, and transition to CTO over time for the right candidate.
About Policy in Practice
Government policy is complicated, confusing and ever changing. This makes the welfare system difficult to understand, to communicate and administer.
We simplify the welfare system for individuals and organisations. We help people understand how government policy affects them so that they can make decisions. Local authorities use our analytics to see how individual households are affected by the combination of national and local policy changes, now and in the future. Our tech engine models how the policies of four government departments affect thousands of families on low incomes. We use a scientific approach to data visualisation to drill down to individual households, track the effectiveness of support and help people to take control.
We have so far supported over 75 local authorities, housing associations and work and health organisations to improve the future for many people across the country. We are able to track the living standards of over one million households, 1 in 8 of everyone using the welfare system, via anonymised data sets. We were founded by one of the architects of Universal Credit and our analysis has been widely covered in national press and media.
Our mission is to reduce poverty which we do through our:
· Benefit and Budgeting Calculator, which provides personal budgeting support and helps people to grow their financial resilience without needing to be an expert in the welfare system
· Low Income Family Tracker Dashboard, which helps councils target resources more accurately, spend money more effectively and meet their statutory obligations
About the role
Policy in Practice is hiring a Senior JS Full Stack Developer to work alongside our growing team.
You will have end-to-end responsibility for the technology on which our analytics and insights are built. You will directly develop our tools and inform and contribute to the architecture and future vision of our technology stack.
Your work at Policy in Practice will mean you will be at the forefront of technology in the government space. We are creating new approaches to the formation and implementation of policy by putting the individual first using data.
The technologies we use include:
· SQL / Postgres
· STATA / R / Python
· AWS / Azure
· HTML / CSS / Wordpress
This will be a challenging role. To deliver on this vision will require all of your energy, abilities and ambition. You will be adept across the full-stack and keen to get up to speed with new technologies. You will be an engineer at heart: hands-on, unafraid of getting stuck in and focused on great results.
Your day to day activities will encompass anything and everything that’s required to build great tech: architecture, engineering, a customer focus, and of course, heads-down coding. You know what a high performance team looks like and will insist that our tech resources are well organised so as to achieve brilliant results.
You probably bring several years of applied experience, perhaps in a start-up, tech firm or consultancy. And you will definitely bring a thirst for learning, a love for technology and a deep desire to solve real problems for some of the most vulnerable in our society.
The position is offered as a full time permanent contract.
The ideal candidate
• Technical problem solving: You’re able to comprehend a situation, structure the challenge and formulate clear, logical solutions. You will have a test-driven mindset and endeavour to assemble the right combination of technologies and processes that address the problems you face, without compromise to a favoured product or service.
• Data Science: You have an understanding of data science methodologies and the ways in which data can be used most effectively and reliably. You are excited by the idea of empowering analysts in the team to work on impact rather than process.
• Project delivery: You are adept at managing technology projects, and communicating progress and risk. You are comfortable taking advice on how systems can be built and see every experience as a chance to learn and excel.
• Written and verbal communications: You are a good communicator and can author clear and succinct plans.
• Team-working: You work effectively alongside colleagues and are enthused by the prospect of common ambition and shared success. You are happy to contribute both in planning of projects but also in the implementation and hands on activity of getting the job done.
• Academics: You probably have a strong degree in either Computer Science or another quantitative field. However, the right person with the right experience and capability set will not be ignored.
How to apply
Please send your CV with a short covering letter or video that clearly outlines your qualifications, suitability and interest in the post Thursday, 12 July at 17:00.
Salary range £40,000 — 60,000
for the right candidate
More like this
- Project Manager at Borne Digital
- Senior Software Backend Engineer at Midnite
- Senior Full Stack Developer at Arkk Solutions
- Director of Education at Nomad Academy
- Senior Front-End Developer at Browser London
- Senior Product Manager at Rotageek
- Digital Campaign Manager at HubbleHQ
- Senior Developers at VirtualSystems Limited
- Full Stack Engineer at Expensify
- Senior Enterprise Sales at MUSO TNT Ltd