We’re Flock: an energetic, London-based insurtech startup who have built Europe’s first on-demand drone insurance app. Flock’s risk intelligence platform aggregates and analyzes real-time data to identify and quantify drone flight risks. Our technology is now transforming the drone industry and the insurance industry - and we’re just getting started!
Our people are incredibly ambitious, and always looking to push technological boundaries. We work closely as a team to build world-leading solutions, and strive to make sure that everyone feels empowered in the work they do. If this sounds up your street, please read on!
Jump into an empowered role doing full stack feature development. You will report directly to the Tech Lead and hold a lot of responsibility and influence in our technological decision making process. Become familiar with all parts of our modern stack, and exercise judgement in key decisions, such as assessing trade-offs between design and feasibility. Choose when to hack, and when to invest time in architecture. You will engineer your features to be scalable and resilient in a multi-platform mobile application, sitting atop a micro-service platform.
Working for Flock, you’ll have the opportunity to work closely with product/UX and enhance your understanding of design theory. You will also learn how to construct complex SQL queries, and how to understand and navigate the tradeoffs inherent in running a service architecture based system, being continuously deployed several times a day with zero downtime.
Key Responsibilities 🔑
- Work with a production system, utilizing Agile processes such as: Code Review on Github, Pair Programming, Continuous Delivery to Heroku, Unit Testing and end-to-end testing.
- Plan and estimate work on a weekly basis
- Build Single Page and Mobile Applications, Web Servers, and other relevant systems
- Use NodeJS, React Native, Redux, Flow, Babel/ES2017, Postgres, Kotlin and Swift.
- Proactively research new technologies and bring them to the team to help maintain our edge
- Help to maintain a stable production system by responding to live issues on a weekly PagerDuty rotation
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work. They are not a comprehensive list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills required.
- NodeJS (with ExpressJS)
- Postgres (note, we do not use any ORM as we do some fairly complex lifting at this layer)
- React Native + Redux
Your Experience 💭
- 4+ years of professional Full Stack Software Engineering Experience
- Exposure to React and a backend technology
Exposure to NodeJS and a frontend technology
- Exposure to SQL
- Authorised to work in the UK
The ‘wow’ factor:
If you have any of these, you are a cut above the rest. If not, we look forward to teaching you!
- Familiarity with both NodeJS and React
- Familiarity with Mobile development, preferably by way of React Native + Redux
- Familiarity with Kotlin/Java/Swift/ObjectiveC
- Familiarity with type systems and type theory, particularly FlowJS
- Familiarity with Agile best practices in general and Continuous Delivery in particular
- Strong Postgres knowledge
- Open source contributions or other community engagement
- Experience working at a small startup
- A BSc in Computer Science/Mathematics or a related field
- A competitive salary, including stock options
- Large amounts of autonomy and empowerment
- 33 days of holiday per year (inc. UK public holidays)
- Weekly team lunches, plus fresh fruit, coffee and tea in the office
- Flexible working hours, including working from home
- Weekly learning morning- we’ll contribute towards books, training courses and conferences that help you grow in your role
- Quarterly team offsites
- Team yoga sessions
- Quarterly hackdays
Our process 👣
- Send us your CV. Explain briefly why you’re interested in this position and why you’re the right person for the job.
- We will schedule you in for an initial 20 minute phone conversation with Abe (Tech Lead).
- We will give you a short take-home coding exercise
- We will invite you for interview with Abe (Tech Lead) and the rest of the team. We will work through some architecture exercises and a whiteboard coding exercise. We may do a short pair programming exercise, and then give you the opportunity to ask us any questions you may have and to talk about the role in detail.
- Meet the entire team in a very casual setting for a friendly chat!
Resumes will be processed on a first come first serve basis.
Ps: No agencies please. All agency emails will go unanswered.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Salary range £50,000 — 70,000
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Head of Product at Pia
- React Native & Redux Developer at Leika
- Full-stack JS Developer at Encore
- Junior / Mid-weight Front-end Engineer at re:infer
- React/Redux developer at Cogent Credit Ltd
- Frontend Web Engineer at Citymapper
- Front-end developer at CreditMint
- Senior Frontend Engineer at Paws
- Software Developer at Capital Pilot
- Senior Software Developer at Uquant