- Salary: 45k-65k pro-rata. Highly competitive salary & equity package
- Location: Oxford, UK (remote/worldwide work considered)
- Job Type: 8 month fixed-term employment contract (possible full-time position to follow)
expodo has invented the world’s best user interface for imaging devices. You’ve not seen it a camera or smartphone yet but in this job you'll play a key role in bringing it to the World.
We are building a visual language of photography. Our ambition is to create the camera interface used by the next generation of photographers. Your code could be used by millions of users for years to come.
Our patent pending UI gives anyone intuitive control over complex imaging devices. We are working to prototype, usability-test, and demo our technology to camera, microscope, and smartphone manufacturers.
We are a funded startup backed by committed investors and an innovation grant from the UK government.
The role - Senior Mobile Developer
In the 8-months of the job, you will build a smartphone camera app that deploys our new UI. You will adapt it to also run on a camera, and a microscope. Here’s how:
- Build an android app to run on the Galaxy S9 smartphone.
- Re-purpose the app for the SONY A7Rii camera. SONY cameras run Android Jelly Bean as a subsystem*
- Re-purpose the app a second time to wirelessly control the same SONY camera (using SONY SDK). We will mount the SONY camera on a Zeiss microscope.
- We have built a proof-of concept of the UI that will help you get started.
- You will be involved in our rolling usability testing programme, and bring the insights gained to improve the UX of the app.
- Your work will input to future patent applications.
- You'll join our small team (currently 1 full time + 2 part-time), and benefit from our phenomenal advisory board, including a former senior executive from Olympus.
*The ‘OpenMemories Framework' is the route in. 'Better Manual' is an example app.
Your skills & experience
- You are an experienced mobile developer, with android experience. You are a self-starter, confident building and publishing a solid android app from start to finish.
- You write clean code, you deliver polished UI, and your approach benefits from experience of building commercial apps.
- You will decide your tools and approach for the job. For the benefit of the search engine that helped you find this ad, they might include: Android, Java, Dagger, RxJava, Kotlin, Scala, Clojure, Groovy, ReactNative, LibGDX.
Desirable Skills & Experience - one or more would be a plus
- Project management
- UX design & testing
- Graphic design
- Disassembling java code
- Maths or physics
- iOS development
- Amateur or pro camera use
- Computational imaging
Oxford based, in a vibrant co-working office, 10-min walk from the river Thames, an hour from London. It has an abundance of culture, food, entertainment, and really interesting people.
Live in San Francisco, Edinburgh, or Bangkok? Please get in touch. Oxford is our first choice but if you excel at the skills we need lets see if remote working can work in your case. We don't have resources to help with a visa so we would contract rather than employ you.
Permanent position may follow
We want you to hit this work package out of the park and find yourself hooked on our mission to unlock powerful photographic control to everyone. Beyond the first 8-months we want to make this position permanent, potentially expanding the role to include:
- Work with camera, microscope, and smartphone manufacturers
- Prototyping AR, AI, and computational imaging cameras
- Re-building natively for IOS
Depending on your skills/experience the position could become an expanded programming role or a promotion to CTO.
expodo embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We're building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be and the more positive our impact in the world.
How to Apply
If you are excited by what we are doing, please apply. We only get one chance to hire our first full-time developer.
- Step 1: email your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]
- Step 2: Once you apply, we may contact you for an initial call.
- Step 3: If your application progresses, we will invite you to interview and to complete a one-day, paid, coding challenge.
Submission deadline 7th May 2018. Earliest start date 14th May 2018.
Got questions? email Tim, our CEO, at [email protected]
Salary range £45,000 — 65,000
Highly competitive Salary and Equity package
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- React Native & Redux Developer at Leika
- Senior Software Developer at Uquant
- Senior Business Development Manager at Car Quids
- Graphic Designer & Social Media Coordinator at Luca Faloni
- Front-end developer (with a UI/UX focus) at Helical Levity
- Software Engineer at Ding Products
- Back-end Engineer at NearSt
- Back-End Developer (Python) at Stylindex
- Customer Service Representative at Midrive Limited
- QA Tester at BookingBug Ltd