A home changes lives.
Having a place to call your own, to build memories, to feel complete… that’s something we appreciate the importance of. It’s why, at Trussle, we’re passionate about making home ownership more affordable and accessible to everyone.
As one of the most exciting fintech scale-ups in the UK, we’re leading the charge in revolutionising the journey of owning a home. We’ve started with mortgages, making the process transparent, simple, and intuitive. Our customer-first approach has made us the highest rated online mortgage broker on Trustpilot, and key partnerships with the likes of Revolut and Zoopla have helped us reach millions of home owners across the UK. But with £10 billion wasted each year by home owners being on the wrong mortgage deal, we’re far from done.
We have big ambitions, and this is reflected in the funding position we’re now in - nearly £20 million from carefully selected institutional investors including Goldman Sachs, Propel, and LocalGlobe - investors that have backed the likes of IHS Markit (Nasdaq), coinbase, DocuSign, Citymapper, Improbable, Lovefilm (acquired by Amazon), Transferwise and Zoopla (London Stock Exchange). Sky News broke the news of our latest funding round, which you can read here: https://news.sky.com/story/goldman-backs-digital-mortgage-broker-trussle-11364294
We’re excited to present you with this opportunity to join Trussle, the home of home ownership.
We are looking for outstanding Engineers at all levels to lead the charge on optimising the effectiveness of Trussle’s product. You will be helping us build a domain-modelled, event-driven platform, allowing teams to work efficiently and autonomously, without increasing the complexity of our overall platform. We are looking for strong data modellers, messaging experts, and engineers with experience of using domain driven design to break down large systems. Rather than a prescriptive list of skills, we would love to see how you would apply yourself to the following three objectives -
- Macro and micro blend - you readily share your depth and breadth of technical knowledge to make sure our architectural decisions are the best they can be - no matter how big or small. As regards macro, you are up to date on the latest tools made available in the market and are constantly ensuring we can capitalise on such opportunities
- Bring ideas to the table - this is a non-negotiable criterion, regardless of which engineering area you are focused on (see below). As engineers, we are responsible for being at the forefront of commercial and product decision to ensure smart scalability at all times.i. Scalability - to make mortgages more affordable and accessible to our customers, today and in the future, our business must scale - meaning world class infrastructure and developer operationsii. Acquisition - this is all about optimising for smart growth by understanding the demand patterns of qualified leads. Partnerships have proved very resilient as regards our growth, so working on integrations, getting exposure to companies such as uSwitch and Zoopla could be part of your dayiii. Retention - this could be guiding new prospects into securing a first mortgage, or taking our existing leads on to the next transaction on our platform. CRM and marketing development experience could be a plus
- Constant learning - this applies to us all, but is worth highlighting at this stage of our growth journey. We are all responsible for our own attitudes to growth and influencing one another to become better engineers, mentoring each other on best practices in evolving subjects from TD to software deployment, etc.
Clear results focus - this skill could have been gained through experience working in a product led organisation with significant stakeholder feedback loops, ideally at a leading institution. You know how to distill natural language requirements into robust technical ones that you and your fellow engineers deliver on consistently. You also articulate seemingly effortlessly the benefits and downfalls of design decisions to a range of stakeholders
Other - (i) experience dealing with critical business issues, (ii) willingness to respond to ad-hoc requests and projects, (iii) strong academic credentials, and (iv) excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Bonus - (i) experience building online consumer facing products where data input is intensive or integrates with numerous third parties, (ii) exposure to Messaging, Data Modelling or building and evolving data contracts (AVRO, Protobuf,..) and (iii) implementation of DDD principles.
Company structure working culture
Structure - we work in autonomous teams of which each team is equipped with the talent and tools required to perfect acquisition, retention and the scalability of our product.
Results over time - we trust people to manage their time to focus on results. If you need to work from home to finish a project or leave early to manage your energy, ensure your manager knows in advance, but as long as the results are there we encourage you to take it.
Engineering specific -
As a rule, we’re technology agnostic, if you can articulate why a particular language or piece of technology is right for Trussle, we want you to bring this to the table.
Current technology stack is primarily a Node.js shop with SPA in the front end. Depending on the application, the front end is written in either React or Angular(1.x), with SASS – our preferred CSS extension language. Our API powers the front end, serving data from either PostgreSQL or Elasticsearch. We have recently built and will continue to build on Go microservices. Everything is hosted on AWS, letting docker take care of the containment, including our messaging and serverless setup.
- (i) Professional development – budget plus time (5 days!) to spend on whatever helps you improve and deliver outcomes.
- (ii) Workplace pension - we're set up with Aviva to make sure we're contributing to help you save for retirement.
- (iii) Season ticket loans - to help you secure any discount available on a 12 month ticket.
- (iv) Holiday – 25 days a year + an extra day for your birthday,
- (v) Socials, food & drink - Free breakfast, fruit, tea and coffee, beer and wine on Friday, team lunches every other week. We also host plenty of socials.
More like this
- Senior Engineer at Comic Relief
- Front-end Designer at Helical Levity
- Junior Data Engineer at Rotageek
- CTO / Lead Software Engineer at HyBird
- Senior PHP Software Engineer at Paddle
- Engineering Lead at AtomInvest
- Software Engineers for The Bakery Start Programme at The Bakery
- Business Analyst at AltViz
- Sales Executive at AltViz
- Embedded Software Engineer at Switchee