Mendelian is helping doctors diagnose rare genetic diseases.
We are looking for a Lead Engineer who can help us design and deploy production web services, help us grow our Spark, Docker, Tensor Flow, Kubernetes infrastructure, as well as exploring and implementing new technologies and frameworks.
Get in touch if you want to play a key role in a high-impact growing startup — and if you are cool with building stuff that save people’s lives. (!)
About Mendelian Genetics
We built an online medical search engine supporting physicians in identifying genes that can explain certain rare conditions. Rare diseases (all 7,000 known types combined) affect over 350m people (more than cancer!) and take on average 7 years to diagnose in clinics. The product is already in use in several hospitals across the world and has attracted acclaim from top researchers and clinical doctors in the field.
Mendelian uses patient’s clinical features to find genes responsible for rare diseases. Mendelian AI agent parses patient’s phenotypic features entered by a physician and outputs their causative genes and mutations. Thus offering a new way of investigating undiagnosed cases.
The company spun out of Singularity University in 2014 and the larger team met while at Imperial College’s Incubator. It now now comprises a blend of skills and experiences, from Computer Science graduates to MBAs and Health professionals. We have recently relocated in Old Street yayy
More about the tech
Our tech stack is constantly evolving to incorporate new ideas that keep us right on the bleeding edge. Our existing platform is primarily Python but we are advocates of using the right tools for the right job. (#Haskell) Are you willing to take on challenges in building scalable and robust platforms around DNAand big data?
So, wanna play a key role in a high-impact and growing startup? (yeaah!)
- Really comfortable and opinionated on development tools (Docker, Terraform, Jenkins)
- Can put together full-stack systems
- Familiarity with a scripting language (Python, Bash)
- Experience developing efficient, maintainable web services with popular web frameworks (Flask, Express…)
- Understands the importance of testing, monitoring and automated alerts
- You might know how to bake
Why Mendelian again?
- Our team is small, flat and fast-moving, which gives a degree of autonomy to our members not possible in bigger organisations. This is a chance for you to shape the technological fate of the company as an early team member. You will have lots of responsibility and autonomy from day one.
- You don’t have to know anything about Genetics or Bioinformatics but you must be ready to learn a lot on latest science discoveries and cutting-edge tech. Genetics is an industry in the making and one of the hottest topic at the moment (think what “internet” was in the early 90s)
- An opportunity to answer Yes to Larry Page’s famous question: “Are you working on something that can actually change the world? Yes or no? The answer for 99.99999% of people in the world is ‘no’.”
This is a full-time, not a freelance/agency role, based in London.
The nature of the position and its challenges are not meant for short-term dedication; we are looking for a driven team member not a contractor.
Salary range £36,000 — 40,000
More like this
- React Developer at Rotageek
- Junior Data Engineer at Rotageek
- CTO / Lead Software Engineer at HyBird
- Senior PHP Software Engineer at Paddle
- Business Analyst at AltViz
- Sales Executive at AltViz
- Embedded Software Engineer at Switchee
- Project Portfolio Lead at Tech Nation
- Partnerships Executive at Tech Nation
- Product Manager at UENI Ldt