It’s a fact that 50% of households in Britain (including us) have less than £1,500 in savings. Yes, it’s mind-blowing. We’ve asked the question countless times – “what makes saving hard?”. The answer is friction, temptation and mediocre existing solutions. We believe that we can build a better experience using world-class technology and data science. Plum is an intelligent savings assistant that analyses your spending habits, predicts your saving capabilities and puts money aside for you automatically. It lives on the web and on Facebook Messenger as your ever-funny and trusted sidekick.
We're looking for a software engineer to join us on this journey – you should be able to navigate your way end-to-end, get your hands dirty with devops and even pair with our marketing lead to come up with new copy. You'll fit right in if you enjoy working without rigid processes in place and accept that, at an early stage startup, "getting it done" is more important that "getting it perfect". In short, a hacker.
You'll be working on
- Identifying patterns in transactional data: We need to be able to automatically identify recurrences and patterns in spending. Think clustering and periodicity.
- Machine learning for categorising transactions and behaviours: As we accumulate more data we will need to enhance our understanding of spending behaviours so that's where machine learning comes into play.
- Systems for auditing and reconciling accounts: We move money around so we need to know where said money is at any point in time at scale.
- Our own Python bot framework: We've developed an in-house bot framework that powers our Messenger bot. We will need to build more tooling (think simulators) and integrations with other providers.
- Our RESTful API: Everything is delivered via our REST API built in Flask.
- React.js: The web version of Plum is powered by React/Redux. We're exploring React Native for building our app in the future.
Is this role for you?
You will be joining a team very early on as it is embarking on a journey to define its product. As a consequence, you will have unparalleled influence in our future direction. You need to be comfortable with this.
We like to work with people that think like entrepreneurs and really want to build and own something. This company will be your company and you will have to make the decisions needed to make it great.
- Company stock options
- 28 days of paid holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- A beautiful co-working space (Shack 15) in the heart of Shoreditch with a cafe, bar and ping-pong table
- Friday team lunch
- Great colleagues!
Salary range £38,000 — 50,000
Stock options: 0.5% - 1.0%
More like this
- React Native & Redux Developer at Leika
- Full Stack Web Developer at Beauhurst
- Creative Technologist in Data Science 🤓 at Decoded
- Front-end developer at CreditMint
- Customer Operations Executive at CharlieHR
- Senior software engineer at Timewith
- Software Developer at Capital Pilot
- React/Redux developer at Cogent Credit Ltd
- Junior / Mid-weight Front-end Engineer at re:infer
- QA Tester at BookingBug Ltd