One Third Stories is a high-growth start-up that inspires kids to love foreign languages. We do this by creating beautifully-illustrated, original story books that start in English and end in a different language, delivered each month as part of a subscription box. We are looking for a superstar generalist to take the lead on customer service & a few new projects, and gain exposure across a growing business.
One Third Stories was started by two friends as a passion project a few years back. These days there are four of us full-time in the office (Alex, Jonny, Ollie & Ria) and we work with amazing illustrators, authors, translators, narrators and teachers to create good old-fashioned bedtime stories that give children access to the wonderful world of foreign languages.
This job will be for you if…
- You’re the organised one from your group of friends. When a surprise birthday needs planning, you’re the person others turn to to handle it.
- You’ve got great written communication skills, know where to put a comma, and are great at reading people’s tone over email.
- You’re an all-rounder that enjoys getting stuck into lots of different jobs and gets a buzz from having a ‘ticked-off’ to-do list. You don’t put off life admin, and are the one that takes care of the bills in your house.- You love making people smile and really appreciate how sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest difference to someone’s day.
Day to day you will be...
- Customer service agent: first and foremost, you’ll enjoy surprising customers by going the extra mile to fix their problem. As soon as you’re done, you can’t wait to think through how you’d do it better next time. This is the biggest part of your job and you get a real kick out of it. You’ll also keep tabs on recurrent issues with the customer experience, and feed them back to the rest of the team so we can all work on improving the OTS service.
- Keeping on top of our ad comments across social media platforms: you’ll pick up questions about how our subscription works, as well as the odd customer support question which pops up there too. - Customer communications: you’ll plan, write, edit, & schedule our email communication with our subscribers, as well as creating engaging newsletter copy & content which gives an insight into the brand and brand personality.
- Managing our existing partnerships: you’ll take the lead on managing our existing language school partnership: communication, organisation & coming up with new ideas for how our partnership can grow.
- Taking on new projects: you’ll identify new projects for the business depending on your skillset and area of interest. Below are a few ideas, and we’d also love you to come to the interview with any new ones you have:
Entering us for awards: you’ll help spread the word about OTS by finding & entering us for awards across different sectors (product & business)
Organising events: you’ll work to organise and plan a calendar of events to showcase our Story Boxes to families
Researching and creating calendar of cultural and linguistic events: you’ll find all the exciting and relevant International Days (e.g. this one), celebrations, and events, so that we can capitalise on creating moments around each one of them and build them into our social, marketing & product calendars.
- General mucking in: as with all start-ups, there are always new things and ad hoc tasks along the way. You’ll be happy to get stuck in with whatever comes up: big or small.
If you have this that would be great (but no worries if not):
- Experience in a customer-facing role with war stories of irritated customers that you’re now basically friends with.
- Any experience working with children or parents.
- Keen interest in languages, education or stories.
What you’ll get:
- A budget for you to learn anything you think might improve your performance or skill-set.- You’ll be based out of an abandoned piano factory in Camden Town (bohemian we know) with a bunch of other start-ups with the odd party here and there.
- Three ‘Duvet Days’ a month to work from home so you don’t have to worry about commuting when you don’t feel like leaving bed (or are a tad hungover).
- The opportunity to grow rapidly and take on additional responsibilities.
- A small, supportive & friendly team who all muck in to help each other out, with Friday evenings at the pub.
We look forward to reading your application!
Ria, Ollie, Jonny & Alex
The OTS Team
Salary range £23,000 — 23,000
More like this
- Director of Education at Nomad MBA
- Lead Software Engineer - with CTO potential at Grow Biotech plc
- Customer Success Manager at Rotageek Ltd
- Executive Assistant at Lyvly
- Customer Service Executive at Lyvly
- Strategic Business Development Manager at Gravity Sketch
- Infrastructure Engineer at re:infer
- Senior Software Engineer at FreeAgent
- React Developer at Rotageek