In 2017, one billion immigrants worldwide will send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing the foreign governmental aid their home countries receive. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more to reach their recipients.
Wave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly and affordably to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, & Tanzania, saving our users countless hours and tens of millions of dollars in transfer fees.
We recently launched remittances to Ghana, where we're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand throughout Africa in 2018. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
"Startups are better off talking to users than x, for almost all values of x." Paul Graham said it, and we at Wave hold it as a core value. We can't solve the remittance problems of our users (and future users!) unless we deeply understand what those problems look like. In this role, you'll be responsible for doing just that. We're about to open new corridors from the US & Europe to Africa and need someone persistent and creative to join our expansion team.
In your first few months, you'll:
- Embed yourself in the diaspora community we're launching, building trust and understanding deeply the problems that diaspora have (or don't have) when it comes to sending money home.
- Achieve small-scale virality by signing up new users at community events and in social hubs like restaurants and barbershops.
- Identify community influencers and help them become effective Wave evangelists.
- Once we're confident in a product-market fit, use social media, paid media, community organizers, and any other methods you see fit to scale the business.
- Throughout the above process, help us build the playbook to make country launches even faster and more successful in future markets.
- Hire help as needed.
You might be a good fit if you
- Would enjoy walking into a room of new people and striking up conversations, presenting in front of a large audience, or being interviewed on live radio
- Possess a bias toward action and testing and are analytical in your approach
- Quickly absorb new cultural settings and understand how they might impact Wave's strategy
- Communicate honestly with other team members (and yourself!)
- Simultaneously demonstrate incredible persistence and are open-minded enough to know when to pivot
- Are eager to take on an immersive role as this one will require 75% travel and consistent evening and weekend work
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Have experience managing teams
- Speak French
We are a distributed group of four engineers and eleven ops team members spread across three continents who are extremely excited about our mission. We play in bands, teach dance classes, write for 538.com and the Washington Post, played semi-pro basketball, and take trips to the arctic circle to capture the Northern Lights and a meteor shower all in the same night.
- Charity donation matching of up to $10,000/year.
- Unlimited vacation with a minimum of 20 business days per year.
- We will pay in full for you to sign up for a membership at a co-working space or whatever you want for your home office -- computer, monitor, desk, chair
- Gym membership reimbursement of up to $100/month
- Subsidized health insurance for you and dependents
- Three months paid parental leave (you must have worked at Wave for 6 months prior to taking leave).
If interested, please email your resume to Wave's Head of User Experience, Maggie Beddow, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis as we are looking to hire someone immediately.
Salary range £56,000 — 63,000
Starting salary of $80,000 USD + equity
More like this
- React Developer at Rotageek
- Senior Product Manager at Rotageek
- Full Stack Developer at Potato
- iOS Developer at Figaroo
- Product Designer at Zero Deposit
- Senior Ruby on Rails Developer at Unboxed
- Technical UI Developer at Humanising Autonomy
- Tech Lead - Bali: 5 month contract at Start Me Up
- Product Designer at Nested