About Carbon Smart
We are a team of hard working, passionate sustainability champions that take on each client’s sustainability challenge as if it were our own. Sustainability can be tough – if it were easy, then our economies and societies would already be operating sustainably. To help our clients, each of us must dig in and get to the bottom of the challenge before working out the best way forward. Every day means tackling and solving problems, crunching the numbers – working out what’s really going on. Our team is bright, focused on great analysis, high quality work, engaging presentations and recommendations that have an impact. We strive to make a difference and to influence opinions and outcome. We work with leading clients that value our input and expertise – they include Google, Lloyds of London, Domino’s Pizza Group, the UK government, the European Investment Bank, Croda, Johnson Matthey, Royal Mail and many, many others.
Since 2007 we have grown one of the strongest sustainability teams in the industry and we are still growing. We are looking for new team members who share our passion, who want to roll their sleeves up and make a difference. We want people that are prepared to grab hold of our clients’ energy, waste, reporting, supply chain, plastics, renewables, transport and social challenges, and help shape workable solutions. If you are self-motivated, like a challenge, want to make a difference, take pride in delivering high quality work, have an impact in the room, can get to grips with challenging problems and make a compelling, reasoned argument for the course of action you propose then you’ll fit in just fine. If you’re hoping everyone else will work it out – don’t apply.
Carbon Smart are looking for an up and coming developer to join our fast-growing team. Reporting into our Product Manger you’ll be assisting with the development of our proprietary sustainability platform. The technology we’ve developed is being leveraged by our expert team of consultants and our clients to manage, track and report on environmental and sustainability data. Common outputs from the platform will include carbon footprinting, supply chain analysis and support on compliance.
This is an exciting role for those looking to solve complex sustainability challenges with well executed software for our clients. A background in sustainability is not essential, however a general understanding would be beneficial.
If you’re looking for a role in which you can learn, make change and have a real impact, then please read on.
What will the role involve?
• Learning about the sustainability challenge
• Understanding how and why the platform has been built
• Working closely with our Product Manager to input on and query requirements
• Creating front-end interfaces from requirements and design prototypes
• Developing functions and models to exploit large data sets
• Receiving mentorship from our Lead Developer
• Writing appropriate unit, integration and system tests
• Compiling documentation for the work you deploy
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for a talented individual who has the following characteristics:
• Always curious – we want people to question the status quo and to always be thinking about how things can be improved
• Drives action – as well as questioning we need to ensure execution keeps pace with client and market demands
• Problem solver – you’ll be presented with creative problems which will need to respond with equally creative solutions to solve them
• Personable – we have a very special team and care deeply about those that join it. We need team players who like to collaborate with others
The skills we’re looking for
The role requires an understanding of the following technologies with demonstrable experience preferable:
• Object oriented programming concepts and their application
Good to have
Knowledge of any of the following technologies are considered an advantage but not essential for this role. Training will be provided in instances where knowledge gaps exist:
• SOQL – a working knowledge of Salesforce’s object-oriented data structures
• APEX – an understanding of APEX to leverage functionality on the force.com platform
• SKUID – a bonus for any knowledge of using SKUID to build Salesforce interfaces
• Salesforce – experience using Salesforce in any capacity
Qualifications and experience
• A minimum 2.1 honours degree preferably in Computer Science or Software Engineering
• Demonstrable experience of development in a commercial environment
• You must be eligible to work in the UK
What’s on offer?
As well as collaborating with a great team and getting to work on interesting projects and challenges you’ll also benefit from:
• A competitive annual salary (determined by experience)
• Company laptop and mobile phone
• A working environment that embraces learning and change
• The chance to make a difference with the software you build
• Flexible working upon completing probation
• Training and development budget
• The opportunity to work with a close-knit group of colleagues who frequently enjoy socialising together (e.g. poker / pool nights, monthly beer & pizza, team lunches etc.)
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining what you can bring to this role, why this is a good next step in your career, and how you meet the skills and experience sought along with a CV detailing your relevant experience.
Applications without a cover letter and CV will not be reviewed.
Links to side projects, GitHub repositories and demonstrations of development all welcome and considered an advantage in this application process.
Please send your application to [email protected]k with the subject title “Junior Developer” by midnight 10th November 2019.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
The positions are intended to commence as soon as possible. CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis giving preference to early applicants.
For more information on Carbon Smart see: www.carbonsmart.co.uk
More like this
- Full stack developer at Dark Blue
- QA Engineer at ContentCal
- Full Stack Engineer at Verisart
- Sales and Partnership Manager at Thirdeye Labs
- Product Designer at Verisart
- UI/UX Designer at Social Vend
- UI/UX Lead at Microtest Ltd
- Product Manager at Microtest Ltd
- Head of Design, Marketing at Dataswift Ltd
- Technical Lead at Collagerie