AlliedCrowds has a unique mission: to combine technology, data, and finance in order to disrupt international development and green energy sectors. We do this by creating innovative products and new financing models that unlock capital for entrepreneurs and projects in emerging markets. Since its founding, AlliedCrowds has consulted for some of the world’s largest development finance institutions, multilateral aid agencies, and private companies involved in development, including UNDP, World Bank, GIZ, IFC, IsDB, and others.
The role sits at the intersection of software developer and data scientist and gives you considerable responsibility and ownership of your path. At the core, it involves:
- Creating the back-end infrastructure for client projects, like IsDB Innovate
- The development of our own products and services, including our public website, the Capital Finder API and our backend data management tools
- Data gathering, processing and analysis; read the Natural Language Processing blog from our current CTO for an idea of the type of analysis you will be working on.
You will be working on the following:
- Building out the functionality of our public API: New features will include tighter integration with our data pipeline, and additional microservices to handle new client requests.
- Adding features to our data pipeline: Responsibilities will include developing our machine learning and natural language processing engine.
- Developing awesome products and tools for our clients: Examples include building the first crowdfunding platform in Ecuador, or a custom client to integrate with our API. We always have new and interesting projects.
- Experience using Python libraries including pandas, scikit, numpy, nltk, matplotlib, jupyter
- 2+ years data science (machine learning, NLP, cleaning data, data pipeline management)
- 2+ years of demonstrated web development (building web applications in Python)
- General understanding of SQL, NOSQL, and other DBMS
- Experience with PostgreSQL, including ORMs such as SQLalchemy
- Advanced knowledge of testing methodologies and an uncompromising ethic around automated testing
- Ability to communicate effectively on both technical and non-technical levels
- Technical degree (Math, Computer Science, Engineering)
- Experience maintaining and building rest APIs, in particular Flask and Eve and serving them using Heroku
- Experience with scrapers and rudimentary data pipeline scripts
- Experience with simple NLP methods using Gensim and scikit-learn
- Experience with Vue and / or React
- Experience with microservices architecture
- Contributing to cutting-edge international development work and research
- Traveling internationally for client projects
- Joining a small, agile team with flat hierarchy and freedom to shape the role -- you're coming on as one of the first employees in the firm
- Having considerable autonomy to work on side projects
- Budget toward new computer
- Flexible working or office in central London, when desired
- Competitive salary
- Workplace pension
To apply, please send your CV/resume with a cover letter and a link to your github or example of work.
Salary range £40,000 — 45,000
Dependent on experience
More like this
- Software Engineer at Automata
- Front-End Developer at Automata
- Sales Consultant at Sook
- Frontend Web Developer (Shopify) at We Make Websites
- Programme Analyst at Entrepreneur First
- Product Lead - Pace Pricing at Pace
- Full Stack Engineer at Elemendar
- Back-end Engineer at Elemendar
- Technical Architect at The ODI
- Salesforce Developer at Avieco