WHAT WE DO
Ding is a design-led startup, based in central London’s iconic Somerset House. We create products that are simple to use, look beautiful in your home, and make life easier using smart technology. We’re right in the middle of an exciting time: the launch of our first product, the Ding Smart Doorbell.
Our founders, design duo Avril and John, took part in the JLABS accelerator scheme giving Ding the chance to build a relationship with leading UK retailer John Lewis. We are still working with their buying team for the product launch.
We’ve built our very own P2P voice platform for embedded devices. It’s made up of: device firmware; Android and iOS mobile apps; and our backend platform that connects the two.
To help us launch the product, we’re growing a team full of talented people. You’ll get to work alongside a dynamic bunch who love design, smart technology and being a part of the exciting world of an early-stage startup.
The chance for a talented software engineer to build and develop our platform within the cutting-edge sector of smart homes. You’ll get to work across hardware, software and design, combining elements of WebRTC, Serverless and continuous deployment on the latest AWS cloud technologies.
We deliver firmware, mobile apps and our e-commerce site, so there are plenty of opportunities to develop your skills. You’ll be working alongside our talented CTO, previously leading architect for iPlayer, who believes in creating a supportive team who are unafraid to learn every day.
We like to work using a variety of agile/lean methodology techniques and to apply what works. You’ll have the chance to develop these skills yourself but also plenty of scope to shape how we build things.
Our roadmap features exciting plans for where we’ll take the platform in 2018, including integration to other smart home platforms such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit and IFTTT.
WHO WE LOVE WORKING WITH
No two days are the same in a startup. We love working with people who can be flexible and get a kick out of solving interesting problems.
Ding’s favourite people have:
- Excitement for creating good things
- A whole lot of calm
- A real interest in all aspects of running a small startup
For this Ding job you should:
- Have a passion for building great experiences for users
- Love learning
- Be unafraid to say when you don’t know the answer
- Have at least 1-2 years of experience in industry
Your main roles will be:
- Build, deploy and maintain our backend platform.
- We create things which require as little intervention as possible and, whenever we can, we design to fail and recover automatically. But there will be the need to be on-call and to resolve problems out of hours.
- Typical working hours are 9:30-18:00 Mon-Fri.
WHAT WE USE
Below is what we are looking for. It looks like a shopping list but you don’t have to have working knowledge of every item. We’re happy to consider experience in similar tech, e.g. a language like Python for Java or Puppet for Terraform.
Languages and Standards
- JSON and Protocol Buffers
- AWS Cloudwatch
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
Ding can offer a competitive salary and stock options. You also get a few lovely perks:
- Ding is part of Makerversity, giving you access to a wider community of entrepreneurs, designers, inventors, technologists, makers and creators based in Somerset House.
- Discounted exhibition entry
- Access to our community bar and games room
- Friday breakfast club
HOW TO APPLY
- Please submit your CV and cover letter
- Deadline 31 June 2018.
- No agencies please.
- Stage 1: a selection of candidates will be invited for telephone interviews
- Stage 2: a smaller selection will be invited for interviews in person and from this the role will be assigned.
Ding is an equal opportunities employer. We love working with a diverse bunch of people. We celebrate difference and to work with us you should too.
Apply for this job or share it
More like this
- Senior Mobile Developer. at expodo
- Software Engineer at Reincubate
- React/Redux developer at Cogent Credit Ltd
- Senior Full Stack Developer at Development Initiatives
- Customer Success Manager at GatherContent
- Technology Educator at Decoded
- Senior DevOps Engineer at Spektrix
- Back-End Developer (Python) at Stylindex
- Senior Backend Engineer at Paws
- Full Stack Developer at Canvas